Hubitat Temp Sensors - Zwave and Zigbee - Best and Worst (to date)

I'm using a Zooz ZSE44 in my gun safe. It was a bit of a whim and I really didn't expect it to work, but i'll be darned if it isn't working just fine. It's been in there for about 2 months, mounted near the back and battery life doesn't seem to be any worse that any other battery devices I have. I also use an Accurite Hygrometer inside I use to compare the sensor against, and both have been consistently in alignment. I wouldn't hesitate to replace my Sonoff sensors around the house with these, other than its just not a priority.

1 Like

I have had sonoff sensors in mine (north Texas) since mid-summer last year, and it is still going strong.

My wife has two battery-operated 3 candle lanterns she uses at Christmas. We put them on top of our entertainment center. Pulling them down every two to three days to replace batteries was a pain (but a great way to burn through a bad battery buy my wife made). I finally bought two sets of battery eliminators and plugged them into a zwave outlet. Bingo! Cords are hidden behind the entertainment center, not having to pull them down all the time to change batteries, and was able to integrate them into my seasonal lighting rule. Bonus WAF points!

2 Likes

The zooz seems pretty nice. I see the specs say the operating temperature is up to 104F though. I think I might try them, since 4 gets me free shipping, and I'll only ruin one in the attic if it gets too hot. Hopefully it won't though if it operates the fan properly. And if it goes out, I guess I'll try the sonoff. If it works in Texas it ought to work anywhere, huh? Thanks

Here's that attic sensor today. We have had a run of hot dry weather, I think I saw it around 122 the other day.

Which sonoff is that, SNZB-02? I'm seeing on that model that people are saying the battery lasts from six to eight months, and it's advertised to last a year. How is yours holding up?

SNZB-03. So far im getting really good battery life, most over a year and still going. I do have one that seems to be going through them faster than the rest. I've replaced that battery once in the past year (about 4 months ago) and it's currently at 77%.

Yeah the couple I've had in for a 1-1/2 years has 90% battery on the meter... They've been a solid performer

1 Like

Correction, they are the SNZB-02. Out of 4 currently in service, 3 are at 100% after a year, ine is at 77%. That one has had uts battery already replaced once. That going to be the nextvone to be replaced with an Ecowitt sensor.

2 Likes

I love these sensors. I just wish the ecowitt gateway would support more than 8 of them. I'm using them in the fridges/freezer/safe - that signal gets through anything, and so far, the battery is holding up just fine.

I hadn't even thought about my safe. I have a zooz sensor in there now. I may try it. Compare with the zooz. I have other places I can use that zooz. I'm going to eventuality replace all the sonoff stuff with Ecowitt. I'm looking into their new wittboy weather station. Looks very similar to the tempest. It comes with with the new GW2000, so I could end up with two gateways anyway.

I don't have any issues with the sonoff sensors, I just want to consolidate all my environmental/ climate stuff in one system.