Hubitat Temp Sensors - Zwave and Zigbee - Best and Worst (to date)

Thanks for your thorough test!
You helped me decide which sensors to buy for my home :slight_smile:

Which driver did you use for the Tuya?

Also, can I ask how do you “calibrate” the humidity results? What did you compare to?

I am using the Genetic Zigbee Motion/Humidity driver.

The vast majority of temp sensors are under the Two Hue Hubs that connect with HE using Cocohue app.

The Hue Motion Sensor is the most reliable, consistent, battery efficient temp sensor I use.

I get at least two years of running out of two AAA batteries.

And the report like clockwork.

The Tuya temp sensor my second best.

Every critical temp sensor, used for controlling temp in a room, is doubled up with a zwave temp sensor, which I have triggers on if there is a discrepancy between the zigbee an zwave I get an alert.

Thanks for that feedback!

I installed the Tuya Temp/Humid Sensor close to a Xiaomi Temp/Humid, and the temps have some differences. Maybe I’ll use a surface thermometer to test and calibrate each individual units…

The humidity… well, they differed a lot in the first 24h, now are getting closer but still 10% difference. I was planning to use it to turn on/off the bathroom ventilation after using the shower…

Any clues into that?

Thanks for everything!

I have about a dozen of these:

I find them to be pretty accurate, and well behaved on Hubitat. The only caveat to their use is that they need the hub/coordinator to be on zigbee channel 15, 20, or 25.

1 Like

I use an accurate stand alone thermometer to calibrate offset for each digital temp sensor.

I have not, yet, got into monitoring humidity, but will do soon when I start managing the bathroom fans.

I will do a bit of research on benchmarking humidity and return here

I have 3 of them as well - working great... Just posted this in another thread..

1 Like

I'm trying hard to find a temperature sensor that can withstand the temperatures of a hot attic. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sensor with a high operating range? A decent one with a long probe, or thermocouple connection to put through the insulation would be fine too. Thanks.

I use Hue external motion sensors as incredibly reliable temp sensors, they support -20°C to 45°C, I use them in fridges/freezers and all around the outside of the house.

2 Likes

That got me thinking - the AA batteries actually prefer warm temperatures. I may convert a Sonoff sensor to AA and give that a whirl in my attic.

Duracell recommends:

ARE BATTERIES AFFECTED BY TEMPERATURE?
We recommend storing batteries at room temperature in a dry environment. Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance. You'll want to avoid putting battery-powered devices in very warm places. In addition, refrigeration is not necessary or recommended.

I might consider hardwiring, it's pretty easy to do and you don't have to replace the batteries.

The hue sensors operating at -20 to -23c last 2 years on two standard Duracell AA batteries.

1 Like

The ones that did use batteries were the Eurotronic TRVs so put them on mains powered battery eliminators.

1 Like

I partially agree, because there will be a tradeoff between storage life and service life. But that suggests that alkaline is decently matched to a low-drain, 0C to 50C application (my best guess of my own attic's range).
From Energizer:

I like the idea of battery eliminators and it seems that lots of folks swear by them. I just have not found an application that would be sufficiently convenient to power and still have a discrete aesthetic. For the attic, the former is more of the issue than the latter.

3 Likes

The BE's work great (even the DIY ones) and appeal to my sense of laziness. I do have a ton of zigbee sensors that use batteries - it's a pain sometimes because not all devices like to report their state or when they do they are not accurate. Have to resort to testing for last event date etc.

1 Like

I'm using a Zooz ZSE44 in my gun safe. It was a bit of a whim and I really didn't expect it to work, but i'll be darned if it isn't working just fine. It's been in there for about 2 months, mounted near the back and battery life doesn't seem to be any worse that any other battery devices I have. I also use an Accurite Hygrometer inside I use to compare the sensor against, and both have been consistently in alignment. I wouldn't hesitate to replace my Sonoff sensors around the house with these, other than its just not a priority.

1 Like

I have had sonoff sensors in mine (north Texas) since mid-summer last year, and it is still going strong.

My wife has two battery-operated 3 candle lanterns she uses at Christmas. We put them on top of our entertainment center. Pulling them down every two to three days to replace batteries was a pain (but a great way to burn through a bad battery buy my wife made). I finally bought two sets of battery eliminators and plugged them into a zwave outlet. Bingo! Cords are hidden behind the entertainment center, not having to pull them down all the time to change batteries, and was able to integrate them into my seasonal lighting rule. Bonus WAF points!

2 Likes

The zooz seems pretty nice. I see the specs say the operating temperature is up to 104F though. I think I might try them, since 4 gets me free shipping, and I'll only ruin one in the attic if it gets too hot. Hopefully it won't though if it operates the fan properly. And if it goes out, I guess I'll try the sonoff. If it works in Texas it ought to work anywhere, huh? Thanks

Here's that attic sensor today. We have had a run of hot dry weather, I think I saw it around 122 the other day.

Which sonoff is that, SNZB-02? I'm seeing on that model that people are saying the battery lasts from six to eight months, and it's advertised to last a year. How is yours holding up?