Hubitat Support will not help with custom code. Why?

+1000

( JK - lol )

1 Like

Bruce almighty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Literally laughing out loud right now.

4 Likes

Crap.. Bruce knows where I live... I knew I should have had my hubs sent to the office.

5 Likes

Dude, who is giving you all of these?

1 Like

I remember @bravenel from the ST forums. He was just as cranky over there (and still one of my favorite people to read and ask questions of).

1 Like

I made a user app to generate +1s. But for some reason my hub is running really slowly right now...

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

7 Likes

LMFAO +10,000 for that one. Although, I can't recreate the hub running slowly though. Must be user code. :wink:

*ducking

You put in a ticket, right?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been a genuinely fun discussion. I hope that the community continues to be as constructive and lively in the future, because it makes it a lot more fun to participate in.

6 Likes

Ok, I'm starting to get the impression that you guys are just making up these numbers.

3 Likes

100% agree. +1,000.

If we keep escalating we're going to have a +1 inflation problem.

Then we'll either have to change to a new denomination, or simply devalue the +1.

Just like user code. Give us developers an IDE and we create... numbers.

That's funny. You must not have been around when one bit of code could change the entire shard (all hubs at that time) timezone?

Or when custom code was killing hubs for all kind of reasons, mainly cloud resources that couldn't scale fast enough...

Or when they were just losing state randomly causing all kinds of crashes... Even blamed Rule Machine for that, LOL.

As for the Microsoft argument:

Please, call up Microsoft, tell them you built an app in the free Visual Studio Code and its causing a blue screen. See if they support you, for free. I'll wait. Make sure it's the real Microsoft and not the one that calls you pretending to be them.

Hubitat staff has been more than helpful in providing resources to developers. Hubitat Elevation is a home automation platform that provides a way to run your own custom code via drivers and apps. We can't support that custom code in the same way Microsoft can't support someone taking VS Code and writing an app that crashes your computer. It's up to that developer to support their own code.

As stated many times before, we all use this platform and code editor to build all the internal drivers and apps. We debug the same way as you can.

Engineering resources are limited. Building additional developer tools is not the highest priority.

Of course we could just lock out the IDE and force you to just use an API via our cloud services, but nah, no one would actually do that, would they?

4 Likes

Wouldn't that kinda ruin their business?? Who'd be crazy enough to do that?

If you guys take away my beloved web sockets, I'll fly back to AZ and give you all stern looks! :wink: Just sayin'...

So, I have a question. I know that you guys are limited, but would it help to have some of us in the community (vetted by you guys, of course) help with building out some of the things that people are asking for? I know that I would be willing to donate some time to helping with that (and even other things). I can't speak for others in that regard, but it would help with the engineering resources constraint.

1 Like

You could... if you can live with what that would do to your customer base, go ahead. :slight_smile:

As far as the Microsoft paid support, that's a long and complicated answer. I work for a fortune 20 company, and while we pay for quite a few support hours, when we prove it is a PLATFORM or API issue and not a user code issue we have gotten hundreds if not thousands of free support hours out of MS...

are you arguing our point now? Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Or are you arguing mine? Make a paid code driver and code certification program, and I might consider paying for it...

That's not an option currently, so I'm not sure that the comparison is valid in either of our cases.

In the end though, it seems clear that hubitat doesn't agree that there is a compartmentalization or structural issue that could improve this ability the system or segregate user code.

So it just is what it is in the end. I'm a big boy and can accept that answer.

As I say at work to my development team, if we can't agree on what problem we are trying to fix, both sides will likely be unhappy with the results. :slight_smile: