Hubitat™ SmartThings Integration

Wrong. No Hubitat principal (or employee that I know of) was ever a SmartThings employee.

I’m flagging your post because it’s ripe with misinformation.

7 Likes

Thank you for your continued support and kind words. None of the Hubitat employees are former SmartThings employees. Many of us were among the most prolific posters in the SmartThings community, so perhaps that is where the confusion may be coming from.

14 Likes

Hey it was told to me, in either case the design is clearly what ST should have been and the decision to support .groovy code now mean it can take over where ST left off now that Samsung has completely abandoned the idea and blocked adding code. ST Classic no longer works. I was trying to integrate my dusty ST so I could control my Samsung TV's with Hubitat Elevation and went back at some point and saw it was disabled. Using my Logitech Harmony integration instead. I bought it long ago but could never get it to work great. It still has bugs but now I have figured out how to make it mostly work. Their device support is impressive too.

At this point one of the best options to bring Smartthings devices into HE would be using Node red with the Samsung Automation Studio Pallet and the Hubitat pallet. The samsung automation studio works with the new API's so isn't currently at risk of being decommissioned.

1 Like

You shouldn’t believe everything you hear :wink:.

Picking up where ST left off sounds unnecessarily constraining to me.

3 Likes

Is there a way to go the other way with HE devices in Smartthings using Samsung's new API?

hubConnect will work for now, it is installed as a custom device handler in samsung's IDE. Devices will appear in the new app but it doesn't necessarily use the new API. It should continue to work until samsung plugs the plug on IDE.

The problem is getting an appropriate virtual device in ST. Node-Red with the Samsung Automation Studio pallet can submit commands back to Smartthings but you need a virtual device on that side to recive the updates. It may be possible to create devices with the current IDE, but that isn't a good long term solution at this point. The only virtual device that i know that is easy to creat are virtual switches.

Perhaps, it also does all what I wanted my Wink 2 to do but it never could. It is a bit more work but having a community and some already programmed drivers and apps (I still can find no documentation for libraries or bundles) make a a lot easier to set up then it would have been if it were not for being able to use existing code. It really saves a lot of headaches. I noticed they removed the LAN integration that never worked, at least for me.

Yeah, I have a few virtual minimote remote I use to access the virtual actuators to trigger events for my AV equipment (Yamaha NVR, TVs, Roku, Harmony Hub, etc.) from a dashboard. I have enough I think I should make dashboard for them all separate from the main one but include lights in the same room. I still have some physical remotes too but I should finish automating some of my most common activities so I need to use them less and only one or two. The Roku is nice since it shuts off both the TV and NVR but it does not turn on the NVR. Problems like that can be fixed using the HE. I just have not done that fix yet and probably should. I use it three way, steaming, playing local files and to access the Tablo Qaud recordings of OTA shows. I also transfer some of the recording to the Roku since it has much bigger HD. It has a really nice fish tank screen saver. The Tablo just has a clock.

1 Like

Where do I enter the IP address in the smart app in smartthings? Pasted the code in the Samsung ide but when I go to my smartthings app the smart app doesn't show up.

This Hubitat SmartThings Integration was written a long time ago, back when the Classic SmartThings App was still available. This on the ST side have changed quite a bit over the last 4 years.

In the ST app, go to the Automations section, click on the + in the upper right, choose Add Routine, click on the Discover tab, and scroll to the bottom to find it in the custom smartapps.

1 Like

Thanks, got it. Didn't show up there the first time but I redid the smart app and it showed up. No good for me anyway wanted to see use my best cams motion sensors as triggers in hubitat but this doesn't do cameras. Any ideas?

Sorry, I haven't really used SmartThings in a few years.

1 Like

Can't look now but there used to be some "camera" HubConnect drivers that would allow you to map motion and battery events across.

Keep in mind that ST will be dropping support of groovy on their platform at some point so anything you do through HubConnect will only be short term at this point.

3 Likes

You could setup a virtual motion sensor on the ST side that mirrors the cams if thats all you are looking for. Use the motion sensor driver on the HE side.

I would suggest using the approach described by @mavrrick58 in this post because it will continue to work even after SmartThings drops groovy support. There is also a Hubitat integration for Node-RED, and you can bring all your SmartThings devices (including cameras) into Hubitat as virtual devices.

Or directly use triggers from SmartThings devices to drive automations that use Hubitat devices.

2 Likes