Hubitat Simple Lighting

Good day everyone,

I couldn't find a better place for asking a question that relates to Hubitat Simple Lighting.

I have the rule below that turns on a Kitchen Accent Light when it detects motion using my Great Room Motion Sensor.

It works fine when you go in the kitchen to grab a drink or something else and then leave and the lights turn off automatically.

However if you go to the Kitchen to make dinner where the motion sensor might not pick motion for about 5 minute, for example when preparing a salad, the lights will turn off after 5 minutes even when you have turned off the lights manually and turned them back on manually again in an attempt to override them auto turn off feature of the Simple Lighting rule that has already ran ("Turn off when motion stops" toggle feature).

Is there a way to cancel the turn off part of the already executed Simple Lighting rule when the light is turned on manually? Should I just create a separate rule to turn off the light automatically instead of using the "Turn off when motion stops" toggle feature?

Please advise

I would make a Virtual Switch to turn the lights on manually.
You can then add the Virtual Switch to the restrictions of your Simple Lightning rule.

2 Likes

You should try the motion lighting app. It has a ā€œdonā€™t turn off if already onā€ option which may solve this.

2 Likes

What I did was add another motion detector to my kitchen. I used the Zone Motion Controllers app (it's a built-in app) to combine the motion detectors in my family room and kitchen. Zone Motion Controllers creates a virtual device that you can then use to turn on lights, etc. In your case you could use the combined device in your Simple Lighting rule to keep the lights on when you're in the kitchen.

I just found this solution less annoying than having to hit a switch to keep the lights on. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve done the same. Have 3 motions on my kitchen to capture movement.

1 Like