Question on HPM updates (related to HPM 1.8.5 transition)

Yea, I think so too. :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously though, the UI is, as you know very well, limited. Inserting an "Are you sure?" is, of course, the purpose of those intermediate clicks. The UI forces the "Next/Done" button to be inconvenient. "Next/Done" are not created IN an App, it's done by the UI and placed after all the App page is rendered. Always lower right corner.

2 Likes

Why are u deleting from manifests instead if just updating with newer app versions.

Have you been on vacation!? Please look up Bundle Manager. :hushed: :wink:

1 Like

Yes i understand but just because something new comes out doesn't mean yiu have to scrap stuff thata working fine. Especially when house is empty.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in here. @csteele possibly already knows this but I did some research on this myself because I wanted to move a manifest file. Once a user installs a package, it caches the location of that package manifest. There is NO way that HPM ever will change that cached link that I am aware of. I do not think it ever checks back on the repository manifest to see if things have changed, it is locked in. This is why I created a test version of the UnMatch feature myself and then asked for it to be added.

So, if an author such as @bptworld moves or deletes the package manifest file, anyone who has it installed will start getting errors that will never go away, even if you update the repository manifest. The UnMatch will make it stop and then if the package is in HPM still you can re-match it.

If you look through Dominic's messages you'll see he says: "Using the manifest location as the Key to the DB was something I'm kicking myself for." (Or words to that effect.)

And that's what Un-Match does.. it deletes that manifest from the DB.

By itself it's not a fix for much, if anything. Un-Match should be followed by something.. and because I feel like the most used case will be to shift Manifest organization, I've assumed that the developer will do the re-org and then tell his users to un-match followed by a Match Up.

Said another way.. reading the "other topic" this has been a need maybe 5 times in the life of HPM. I'm not imagining it will be used 10x more often :smiley:

1 Like

I have been wanting Un-Match for a long time, as both a developer and user. Thanks for adding it!

1 Like

I wanted something as a developer and as a user also. Sometimes you don't know you need it until its there. I have a feeling it will get used more often than we think.

3 Likes

Used vs Need. I agree it will get clicked a number of times.. "Ohhh, shiny new button, let's see what it does." "? Doesn't do anything, let me try it again." On the 3rd or 4th attempt, they'll notice the list to un-match is smaller... and panic. Never once will the words "Follow with a Match Up" be read. :smiley: (Where's my cynical emoji?)

5 Likes

I just Un-Matched three packages that I didn't want to ever update, and having them be matched in HPM made for extra notifications and the risk of accidentally updating them when using HPM otherwise.

The alternative was reconfiguring a bunch of stuff after uninstalling from HPM and manually reinstalling. As a user, un-match is much better.

As a dev, the ability to relocate repos or use it for maintaining different versions is going to be really useful.

4 Likes

I ran HPM updates and got the HPM 1.8.6 version installed BUT now HPM View Apps & Drivers shows both 1.8.4 and 1.8.6 installed! I ran Update, Uninstall, Repair (on both) and rebooted the Hub but both HPM versions are shown as installed in View Apps & Drivers. Apps Code only shows one set of code.

How can I fix this?

Try the Unmatch option with the 1.8.4 version (under Settings)

It's purely cosmetic.

Follow the advice and: Use Un-Match and pick both HPM when offered. Click Done/Next all the way out. Fixed. For HPM, no Match Up is needed.

1 Like

Getting this error.

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.972 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'repositories' on null object on line 3923 (method prefSettings)

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.952 pm debugRefreshing repository list

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.950 pm debugConverted update mode to Never

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.944 pm debugMigrating auto updater mode

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.941 pm debugAdding GitHub and PayPal URLs to manifests...

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:32.938 pm errorError downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/hubitat-packagerepositories/master/repositories.json: java.net.UnknownHostException: raw.githubusercontent.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

app:14442022-06-21 10:36:12.896 pm debugStoring repository listing in state

Can’t even get into HPM to repair. Deleted HPM (was 1.8.3) and reinstalled (1.8.6).

Looks like your DNS server is not resolving which might explain the plethora of errors.

Thx, makes sense. Messing around with my Pihole/iot vlan over the weekend. Confirmed with network tests in the HE.

Cursing heard when all lights went on this morning.

Same here. RIP HPM.

The "Repair" option simply freezes at "Repairing Package Your changes are currently in progress...please wait" Will try vmsman's fix and see if that works

What are you talking about?

1 Like

Like some others, I couldn't get it to update and it seemed Hubitat Package Manager was broken, hence the joke "Rest in peace, Hubitat Package Manager".

1 Like