Question on HPM updates (related to HPM 1.8.5 transition)

Just one package needed Repairing. Doing more is of course fine, but it's only HPM that has an unneeded line of code. :smiley:

I experienced the same exact thing. Repair hung and I cancelled. Went back in and it showed there was an update for HPM. Ran that and it brought HPM to v1.8.5. Everything looks good after that.

I've seen the same thing happen.

Two of my hubs eventually got to "No updates available" after updating twice, repairing, and updating again. A third took about five tries, but eventually got there with the same process.

1 Like

So, a day later and no phantom updates and also no new updates. I feel like it is fixed. Waiting for one of my 50 or so apps to get an update as the acid test. I am certainly pushing the limits.

1 Like

Not sure if this has something to do with my installing Bundles but HPM Package Manager is throwing an error on Device Watchdog.

This looks to be an HPM error generated by a missing or incorrectly formatted package manifest. Manifests are created/maintained by the package developer (i.e. not the HPM developer). In this case it is one of @bptworld's manifests. I am aware that he is pulling some/all of his apps out of HPM eventually in favor of his Bundle Manager app; this may be one of the first to make that transition. If that is the case you'll have to remove the app from your HPM instance to remove the error - I believe @csteele has or will soon add an Unmatch capability to handle this situation.

4 Likes

Hi,
Not sure when or how often HPM checks/updates the manifests but once HPM does this, the error will go away. As I move each app over, I delete it from my manifest. So if HPM is using an older manifest, you'll get that error.

@csteele, I looked real quick and didn't see a way to force a manifest update within HPM. Maybe this could be another addition? Would solve this issue, not just for me but anytime a dev may leave HE for any reason.

1 Like

Me either but it's minutes. I've been editing a particular Manifest, then testing, edit again.. and it's true, it takes a few minutes to go active. I haven't measured it, just know that a trip to the kitchen usually is enough time :smiley:

You're talking about this kind of a feature?
Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.16.45 AM

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.17.34 AM

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.17.47 AM

Will be the central feature of v1.8.6

1 Like

Nice! I was thinking more of a '1-click' method though. 'Click to refresh/update manifests' with a button. HPM is an amazing piece of work but that's the one thing that always drives me nuts... click, then click.. hey click again. lol (that's the main reason I don't use RM) Maybe just me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yea, I think so too. :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously though, the UI is, as you know very well, limited. Inserting an "Are you sure?" is, of course, the purpose of those intermediate clicks. The UI forces the "Next/Done" button to be inconvenient. "Next/Done" are not created IN an App, it's done by the UI and placed after all the App page is rendered. Always lower right corner.

2 Likes

Why are u deleting from manifests instead if just updating with newer app versions.

Have you been on vacation!? Please look up Bundle Manager. :hushed: :wink:

1 Like

Yes i understand but just because something new comes out doesn't mean yiu have to scrap stuff thata working fine. Especially when house is empty.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in here. @csteele possibly already knows this but I did some research on this myself because I wanted to move a manifest file. Once a user installs a package, it caches the location of that package manifest. There is NO way that HPM ever will change that cached link that I am aware of. I do not think it ever checks back on the repository manifest to see if things have changed, it is locked in. This is why I created a test version of the UnMatch feature myself and then asked for it to be added.

So, if an author such as @bptworld moves or deletes the package manifest file, anyone who has it installed will start getting errors that will never go away, even if you update the repository manifest. The UnMatch will make it stop and then if the package is in HPM still you can re-match it.

If you look through Dominic's messages you'll see he says: "Using the manifest location as the Key to the DB was something I'm kicking myself for." (Or words to that effect.)

And that's what Un-Match does.. it deletes that manifest from the DB.

By itself it's not a fix for much, if anything. Un-Match should be followed by something.. and because I feel like the most used case will be to shift Manifest organization, I've assumed that the developer will do the re-org and then tell his users to un-match followed by a Match Up.

Said another way.. reading the "other topic" this has been a need maybe 5 times in the life of HPM. I'm not imagining it will be used 10x more often :smiley:

1 Like

I have been wanting Un-Match for a long time, as both a developer and user. Thanks for adding it!

1 Like

I wanted something as a developer and as a user also. Sometimes you don't know you need it until its there. I have a feeling it will get used more often than we think.

3 Likes

Used vs Need. I agree it will get clicked a number of times.. "Ohhh, shiny new button, let's see what it does." "? Doesn't do anything, let me try it again." On the 3rd or 4th attempt, they'll notice the list to un-match is smaller... and panic. Never once will the words "Follow with a Match Up" be read. :smiley: (Where's my cynical emoji?)

5 Likes

I just Un-Matched three packages that I didn't want to ever update, and having them be matched in HPM made for extra notifications and the risk of accidentally updating them when using HPM otherwise.

The alternative was reconfiguring a bunch of stuff after uninstalling from HPM and manually reinstalling. As a user, un-match is much better.

As a dev, the ability to relocate repos or use it for maintaining different versions is going to be really useful.

4 Likes