Hubitat not seeing physical events

I need some help. I've got two issues that are frustrating the hell out of me.

1. Hubitat is not seeing Samsung button pushes
  2. Hubitat is not seeing state changes when z-wave switch is pushed.

Some background: I've been a SmartThings user for at least 5 years, so not completely new to home automation but I do still consider myself a novice. For reasons that almost everyone already knows, it's time for me to get off Smartthings so I've been looking around and even tried Home Assistant. Last week's announcement that Hubitat is now (soon to be) HomeKit certified pushed me over the edge so I ordered a hub, got it yesterday, and spent a couple of hours today moving all my devices over from Smartthings to Hubitat.

The problem:
I can control all my Zigbee and z-wave devices via the Hubitat app and web interface, but I can't get it to see the button pushes on any of my three Samsung Zigbee button (this one) nor is it seeing events from either of the 3 z-wave switches I have installed.

I've turned on debug logging on one of the Samsung buttons and don't see any events in the logs, I don't even see any of the temperature reports from the devices but I do see many events from my plug in Zigbee devices.

Where do I even begin?

(PS - after I added all my devices I did unplug the hub for 20 minutes and then plug it back in)

This suggests they are not fully or properly Included. Look at the Device Info page for one of them...

I don't have one but I have a few Zigbee..

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 2.07.34 PM

Look at the Type field and verify it's correct for your specific device. If Hubitat Includes a device but there's no obvious device driver, it picks the 'do-nothing' driver named "Device" -- that simply means you get to pick the driver to match.

You're clues suggest you have a good mesh, but this one device type isn't announcing itself in a way that matches a known Hubitat Signature.

4 Likes

For the Zigbee-based Samsung button devices, please make sure they are using the correct device driver "Type" in the device details settings page as mentioned by @csteele above. If you need to change the driver Type, please click SAVE afterwards, and then click CONFIGURE. Hubitat does not automatically send a CONFIGURE set of commands to the physical device when a driver is changed. One must click the CONFIGURE button and make sure the device has been woken up to receive the configuration commands by activating the device.

As for your Z-Wave switches, what exact make and model are those? If they are early Z-Wave devices, not Z-Wave Plus, then they will most likely not reliably update physical state changes correctly. Some people use the Hubitat Poller App to help improve this...but most end of replacing those old Z-Wave switches with more modern Zigbee, Lutron, or Z-Wave Plus models.

I ripped all of my early GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers out and replaced them with Lutron Caseta Switches, Dimmers, Fan Controllers, and Pico remotes. If you decide to investigate Lutron, please be aware that Hubitat requires the slight more expensive Lutron Caseta SmartBridge Pro2 controller for these devices. This is because the SmartBridge PRO2 includes a local LAN-based Telnet integration option, which is not present on the lower cost SmartBridge (non-Pro) model. Lutron Pico remotes are amazing button controller devices, with a 10 year batter life. They work amazingly well and are extremely reliable, like all of the Lutron products.

5 Likes

For the SmartThings buttons -
Make sure the device selected is Samsung Zigbee Button.
You should see the presses and the temperature reports both in the device events tab as well as the logs tab.
I have three of them and they work reliably.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @Eric.C.Miller @ogiewon and @csteele.

I did some more digging and found that one (brand new) button is fully working and the other two aren't. I've deleted and reset one of the non-working buttons and am going to leave it w/o a battery for a couple of hours before adding it again. Let's see if that helps.

Regarding the z-wave switch, I've got one of the older GE/Jabsco switches which I bought because at the time they were the only ones that reported status. Sounds like my best bet is going to be to replace it. Any suggestions for a good but simple either z-wave or zigbee switch?

Thanks,
John

After I did the update to 2.3.4.114, I have multiple Zigbee devices drop off the network.

The great thing about Zigbee is that you can reset the device, re-add to your Hubitat, and Hubitat will attach the Zigbee device to the previous device.

I had 2 motion sensors and 3 water sensors (all battery powered devices) drop off the Zigbee network after the last update. I did the above and they are all fine now.

I deleted one of the Samsung buttons from HE, factory reset the button, then removed the battery for a couple of hours. I then re-added the device but it's still not working. HE is still showing that the devices have different capabilities.

Not working button:

Working button:

Try this.

1. Reset the button that isn't working (factory reset).
  2. Do NOT delete the hubitat device corresponding to that button.
  3. Start zigbee pairing, and pair the button about 2 feet away from Hubitat.
  4. Leave it there for 10 minutes.
  5. Start using it close (2 ft) to the Hubitat - and check the device page.
1 Like

Roger that. Did steps 1-4, left the two bad buttons there for almost 2 hours and still no good.

I will leave them within 2 feet of the hub overnight and see if there’s any change.

Still no good.

I gave up on the two "bad" buttons and just ordered replacements from Amazon.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.