Hubitat not responding to one device's z-wave Hail so device doesn't update

Hi,

I have a C-7 Hub running 2.3.4.117 and Z-Wave firmware 7.18.1.

The switches are Leviton DZ15S.

However, this problem predates these updates. The problem I experience is someone manually turns on our kitchen light switch using the paddle but Hubitat doesn't show that the light is on. This causes problems with some rules that I have to turn off the switch automatically and sometimes the light just stays on which is frustrating.

This keeps happening. The last time this occurred I excluded the device. Factory reset the device. Then included the device into the z-wave mesh. Previous times I have been able to reboot Hubitat and the problem would resolve itself.

This time it happened and I (think this is accurate):

1. Rebooted Hubitat. Didn't change anything.
  2. Disabled the z-wave radio. Re-enabled the z-wave radio. Didn't change anything.
  3. Updated to 2.3.4.117. Didn't change anything
  4. Shutdown Hubitat. Removed power. Let sit for 20-30 seconds. Apply power. Didn't change anything.
  5. Updated z-wave firmware to 7.18.1. Didn't change anything.
  6. Shutdown Hubitat (again). Removed power. Let sit for 20-30 seconds. Apply power. Didn't change anything.

At this point I decided to pull out the sniffer which I've done before to capture the data and present here because I'm at my wits end on this. Below you will see two switches that are identical. I go to the first switch and press the paddle to turn on the switch right at the top of the minute. I then wait 10 seconds and then press the paddle to turn off the switch. This switch updates correctly in Hubitat.

I then move to the problem switch and press the paddle to turn on the switch right at the top of the next minute. I then wait 10 seconds and then press the paddle to turn off the switch. The switch does not update correctly in Hubitat.

I have also turned on debugging in Hubitat for both devices.

From what I can tell the Hail commands are identical. The hub ACKs both the Hails however as you can see for the second switch the hub does not send a get for the switch to then send a report allowing it to indicate the status of the switch.

Below are my logs.

What is happening and how can I solve this? Thank you!

Are both switches using the same driver? Which driver?

1 Like

Both are Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch.

Leviton has a firmware update available for that device - dunno if it'll help with this issue, but it likely can't hurt...

Guide to updating Leviton z-wave firmware - :bellhop_bell: Get Help / Devices - Hubitat

2 Likes

I believe I have the latest firmware updates for them unless they have put out a new one in the last year or so.

I had the same problem with a different switch that was fixed by changing to the Generic Z-Wave Plus Switch driver

I just tried this and it still doesn't solve the problem. However, the debug logs clearly indicate that it is skipping the Hail.

Something I have noticed here is the payload is empty. :thinking:

One thing I forgot to mention. I have also turned off the breaker to the switch (removing the power from it) as another debugging task.

I believe I have the latest firmware updates for them unless they have put out a new one in the last year or so.

Firmware version 1.23 (replacing 1.20) for that switch came out this year, I think.

1 Like

Oh wow. Indeed I'm on 1.20. I didn't realize they introduced a new one. I will check into updating that. Thanks!

I have updated to firmware 1.23 for my switch and... didn't make a difference. lol

Iā€˜m on the cusp of building my own driver just to see if I can work around this and possibly why this might be happening. :sob:

1 Like

I finally broke down and excluded the device and included it again.

I found the following thread that sounds a lot like the problem I was having.

There was a request for the device's data in the thread. When I looked at my device's data it was mostly empty compared to my other working device except "zwNodeInfo" in which both were exactly the same.

Well, a week later and the device has again lost the data which again seems to prevent it from correctly updating its status in Hubitat.

Every time I have excluded and then included the device I have used the "Swap Apps Device" in Settings to help facilitate the process. I created a new virtual switch device and then swapped the z-wave switch for the virtual switch. I then excluded the device and then included it. Finally I used "Swap Apps Device" to swap the virtual switch to the z-wave switch.

I will also note that I have some really bizarre behavior over the weekend where some of my z-wave devices appeared to stop responding or very slow. I tried repairing z-wave but things were failing during the repair. I rebooted the hub and the same thing happened. I opened up my sniffer and saw very strange traffic including wake-up beams being sent to devices such as a scene controller. I will note here I have no devices on my mesh that use wake-up beams. It was then I shutdown my hub and fully removed the power from it for 20-30 seconds and then booted it back up. After that is when I noticed that my z-wave device no longer had data in it (on the device page) except for "zwNodeInfo" as I mentioned previously.

So today I clearly had to exclude and include the device again so in order to do this I started as I did previously. By creating a virtual switch device, using "Swap Apps Device" to preserve the device in all my apps, etc. I excluded my z-wave device then included my z-wave device. Once I included the new device I used the virtual device to open each app it was used and then manually changed from the old virtual device to the new included device. I don't know if this will help or not but I have to try something different in hopes of getting different results.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.