Hubitat + node red + homebridge

The name of the game with these kinds of units is efficiency vs raw computing power. If the server is just going to be sitting on a shelf "headless" and (semi)permanently the less power consumed and heat generated the better.

IF you really want to go down the rabbit hole there is the odroid..

https://www.hardkernel.com/

@aaiyar "persuaded" me to get one of these (an N2) a while ago.. very powerful. It too runs really well but doesn't quite have the popular support that the RPi does and is more expensive. Still testing it though..

2 Likes

Agreed. But I think that cost can be offset by aggregating more services/servers on an N2.

1 Like

Also with the addition of the Argon One case the price is comparable... but the m.2 is nice.

2 Likes

200w PSU is not the micro. They usually come with a 60w brick. My 6th i5 ran about 10w idle. Price wise, yes more than a pi but worth the extra in my opinion. In a drawer now along with some pi's just in case I want to try something new.

Moved my setup from optiplex -> mac mini -> docker (synology nas).

yeah that was my quick and dirty amazon search - other models had an even larger psu. Seems like a decent option though.

The RPi uses about 2.85 watts at idle - the rate I mentioned was peak I think.

For my use-case I would (and actually have) repurposed something like that or maybe a little larger as a NAS. NR/HB don't require much in the way of processing power.

1 Like

Just a heads up everyone on my prior post!!!!!!

If you decide to get the Argon One case with the SSD - you will still need to boot to the sdcard once to update the firmware to allow it to boot.

2 Likes