Hubitat native drivers - closed or open source?

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere, but are the native drivers closed or open source? I like to customise Linear/Vision siren driver for Everspring siren. Here's the background:

From Moving from Vera to Hubitat - Device support and questions - #12 by bertabcd1234 , it was suggested to use Linear/Vision siren, but some of the features from Linear/Vision siren aren't available on Everspring siren, e.g. strobe without siren, auto turn-off siren, etc.

It will be great if I can take reference from Linear/Vision siren driver instead of reinventing the wheel. Cheers!

The native drivers are not published publicly. There are some example drivers that HE publishes on Github. In general, a lot of the same principals as writing a DTH for ST apply to HE. There's a forum post that talks about some of the changes required for porting a DTH from ST into a driver for HE. If you're not a former ST user, a lot of those drivers can be found on the ST forum.

Hello,

(sorry to revive this topic, but i'm very new in the hubitat community)

I'm an open source developer for a very long time, so probably my point of view is a little distorted, but why native devices/apps is not distributed as MIT licence for example?

The community developers could help to improve this drivers/apps. I don't see any values to have this drivers in closed source for the hubitat product, except if i missed something.
In general, open source model development is very interesting and add good values in a product.

I already check other open source projects for home automation, but my preference is for hubitat, i understand you don't want to give for free your core, but devices and apps as an open source development seems a very good idea.

Please note, this my intention is not to have a troll ;-). It would be nice to consider this approach for your product.

My experience is developing an open source platform for 15 years, and using free software more than 20 years.

Thank you for your great product.
Sylvain

4 Likes

Reviving this thread on the hope that perhaps the Nue series of drivers can be shared/opened up? I have a Fan-and-Light combo that doesn't completely work correctly with the Nue Zigbee Switch (parent) driver and associated Generic Component Switch, but the behaviour is very, very close...

So, any chance I can get a copy of the Nue Zigbee Switch (parent) driver so that I can tweak it slightly to be more suitable for the Nue Smart Fan-and-Light switch that I have??

No

1 Like

@mike.maxwell any chance of helping us fix a driver the a device so that it works ??

what doesn't it do?

First starters, there is no driver for the Nue Smart Fan & Light switch, but when you use the Nue Zigbee Switch it basically works kinda....

When you Configure it, it creates 4 child switch components, but when you send On or Off to the parent, it switches all 4 child switches on and off.

For a device where it is actually 3 switches that are like radio-style buttons (ie only 1 of the 3 can be on at any time representing L/M/H) and 1 light switch (which can work independently) it doesn't really function correctly when the parent goes to On state and it tries to turn all child switches to on.

Turning off is fine (as it turns all switches to off state) but turn On, turns each switch on equally, and 3 are rapidly fighting with themselves, and you end up with the fan on some random setting (between L/M/H) and the light on. Would be good if you can either a) set which switch is on for the Fan, or just turn the light on, or maybe recall the last On state for the Fan switches or some preference etc...

Anyway, I'm happy to update the driver myself - can code and working on it myself now, but would rather stand on the shoulders of giants etc...

1 Like

Reported device fingerprint

ID: 75ED
Manufacturer: 3A Smart Home DE
Product Name:
Model Number: LXN56-1S27LX1.2
deviceTypeId: 287
manufacturer : 3A Smart Home DE
idAsInt : 1
inClusters : 0000,0003,0004,0005,0006,0008,1000
endpointId : 01
profileId : 0104
application : 00
outClusters : 1000
initialized : true
model : LXN56-1S27LX1.2
stage : 4
manufacturer :
idAsInt : 2
endpointId : 02
application :
model :
manufacturer :
idAsInt : 3
endpointId : 03
application :
model :
manufacturer :
idAsInt : 4
endpointId : 04
application :
model :

@mike.maxwell any further input? I'm working on a new driver, and happy to publish but keen to know your thought on all this??

This is normal for multi endpoint devices.

Yes, but not normal for a fan & light switch where you may wish to turn the light off, but not the fan... so are you suggesting just continue with the driver (mind you it is missing the fingerprint) and put up with the parents behaviour of madly trying to switch on and off the child endpoints, even if that behaviour is at odds with how the switch should operate? e.g. when switching on, it tries (unsuccessfully) to switch each of the child fan switches to on - High on, then Med on, then Low on, and also the Light on... the outcome of which is that you hear/see a rapid on rattle across the fan states, ending in just the Low and Light staying on... obviously that's not normal.

These devices aren't normal as compared to every other zigbee device I've worked on either, so short of having on in hand, there's not much I can do to help.

Thanks @mike.maxwell - I will continue to code up my version of the driver and release to GitHub. Hopefully you can see what I've done and decide if you can help modify or include better built-in support for this device.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.