Hubitat IP address getting replaced

Hi there, something strange started occurring about a week ago.. The local IP address for my Hubitat Hub is being replaced by something completely different thats NOT part of my local address..

My router still sees the Hubitat hub with the original local IP (192.168.1.xx) BUT in the Hubitat "Settings" i see an address of 169.254.8.182, when it should be a 192.168.1.xx..

As a result my dashboards dont work.. BUT I can still see all my devices from the Hubitat hub.

It appears to go back to normal when i unplug and replug the Hubitat box.

any thoughts or ideas ???

1 Like

This means your Hubitat is losing its connection to the router and therefore getting a self-assigned IP address.

How is your Hubitat connected to your router?

1 Like

It might also mean that when your home experiences a power blip, that your Hubitat hub is booting up and requesting a DHCP address before your home router is fully up and available to provide that IP address via DHCP. In this case, the Hubitat hub will timeout and then auto-assign itself an address in the 169.254.x.x range.

4 Likes

@fdelima
This explanation is more likely. If you haven't already, I'd recommend putting your router and Hubitat on a UPS. If there's an ethernet switch in the mix, put that on the UPS as well.

2 Likes

The hub is plugged directly into the linksys velop node..

Keep the assigned reserved address on your router but also assign the same static IP on the hub, this will ensure that it will always have the correct IP address whether the DHCP is up or not.

EDIT: but if you decide to change the IP one place, remember to change the other place or you will run into problems!

2 Likes

ok thanks for this.. but what is the 169.254.x.x address and why does it work to view devices but not dashboards ?

Thanks

This is a default address set that most devices will revert to when they can't reach a DHCP server or if a static IP was not set,

Why you can still reach the hub, I have no clue at all, might have something to do with the MAC but no sure?

1 Like

ok i have the hub on the reserved IP list of my router BUT its going through a switch before plugging into the velop node... so maybe i should put the switch into the router reserver IP table as well.

thanks you for this, nclark..

It is a link-local address that gets assigned automatically if an IP address cannot be obtained from a DHCP/BOOTP server, or if the interface is not configured with an IP address. That's why I like @nclark's suggestion to have a DHCP reserved address and configure a static IP for the HE.

Here's more on link-local addresses:

1 Like

Sorry i may have missed something.. unclear how to assign an ip on the hub itself.... I thought it asks for an IP from the router DHCP. so i've put the hub IP (assigned by the dhcp) in the router reserved table.... But i didnt know theres a way to preset the IP in the hub itself.... Can i please ask how.. ?

Unless it is a managed switch, it will not have an IP address. I think that the better thing to do would be to put your velop, switch, and HE all on a UPS.

1 Like

Settings -> Networking

1 Like

Ok just figured out how to setup the static ip in the Hub.... thanks for the tip..... I suppose I need to make sure that the IP is OUT of the DHCP Ip range..... so if i put the IP in the reserved list , I believe that will take care of it from the dhcp perspective, right ?

2 Likes

I don't see a Networking section in the settings on my C4 hub. Is this a C5 and above hub feature only?

You must have your hub up to date, it's in the latest firmware release.

EDIT: Might also be C5 and higher as aaiyar mentioned under here!

Yes, I believe this is for C-5 and above Hubitat hubs because earlier versions didn't have a physical reset button.

A physical reset button is needed in the event of a misconfiguration.

Here is what I used for a ups for my router and hubitat:

They work great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.