Hubitat in an apartment?

It looks like we will be moving from a large 3BR house (rented) to a more modest 3BR apartment (also rented) and I’m wondering whether having a smart home system in an apartment is worth it.

Most of my current automations and devices are based around home security, hallway lighting and keeping track of the front door (guests, parcels etc.).

Given the new place is dozens of stories up, has a secure entrance and no hallways (or spaces where automated lighting will be that helpful), I’m having trouble thinking of uses for HE (and HA and HomeKit) after we move.

Does anyone on this forum who lives in an apartment have any suggestions? If I can’t justify it, I’ll be selling a lot of devices (sensors, zen thermostat, cameras, Google home minis etc.) and Hubitat in Melbourne, Australia if anyone is interested.

While the house-level stuff might be less, I would have thought bulbs for adjusting lighting levels, or your mini's could still be useful. Other things you could do with a hub could include automations involving Calendars, weather services, A/V controls, general notifications, power monitoring....

3 Likes

Home automation should make YOUR life better. If you can find applications in your new apartment that improve your lifestyle, then by all means use them. Just remember to read your rental agreement carefully so you do not make changes that are in violation of the agreement or could cause forfeiture of your deposit. I suspect any improvements to the rental property such as installing new switches, etc. become the property of the landlord.

1 Like

I would buy bulbs, lamp modules, ON/OFF modules but avoid hard wired switches.

2 Likes

I‘m in a 1BR flat in the UK, so much smaller. I have automated most of the stuff mentioned, but what gives me peace of mind are the leak sensors.
I‘ve prevously had leaks into the the downstairs flat and it’s a hassle.

2 Likes

I've done both, lived in many rental homes and in one made hardwired modifications to switches. Kept all the old with the plan to switch it all back when I moved out, which I did, primarily due to the cost of the switches. Subsequent rental homes I just used plug modules and avoided the hardwire switches, wasn't worth the time.

I've kept most of my switches for future use, although many of my older switches are prior to z-wave+, while they still would work, probably not worth saving.

Comes down to your time and investment, and how much it's worth to you. Keeping the hub and some plug modules in my book is a no-brainer. Easy to automate bedroom lamps, holiday decorations, etc.

I would second much of what was said above. There are many opportunities to use Hubitat even in an apartment.

• Lights that go on automatically (sunset or motion or arrival) using a smart outlet or smart bulb.
  • Smart outlet for portable fans.
  • Voice assistant to control bulbs or smart outlets.
  • Button controllers for places where a light switch isn't always available or convenient, like maybe a bedside table button for overhead lights.
  • Maybe even possible to add smarts to mini-split A/C.
2 Likes