Hubitat has been down / unreachable for days

You are using DHCP per the note at the top. It just keeps the static settings for you in case you want to switch back. If you want to be certain you can clear out those top 3 settings (the DNS will default to its new default). Then hit the Switch back to DHCP and I think that will reboot the hub or at least restart the network connection.

Since your think your hub is not running any actions while it goes dark, if that is true it seems more like a CPU/Mem issue than a networking issue.

Thanks, I've done as you have advised. After I cleared the settings and clicked 'Switch back to DHCP' the Hub said the settings have been saved and please reboot. Rebooted and all looks good.

I agree if it hangs again its most likely a CPU/mem issue with a lower chance of a faulty ethernet cable/port.

I'm having trouble envisioning a network issue that would simultaneously cause the hub to stop processing rules. To your point losing a network connection should not interrupt rules processing. However, since you're running Unifi gear, you can check the alerts to see if the hub itself is losing its connection at the physical layer, and all the debugging steps mentioned by @rlithgow1 and @gopher.ny certainly make sense if it is a network issue.

An intermittent power problem might generate these symptoms... if all the other things don't work you might try swapping power supplies and making sure the hub is on a UPS.

I don't think it's likely that I'm experiencing a network issue but it could explain the Hub behavior because to run its rules the Hub needs to talk with my Lutron Hub over the same network connection.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh are your only devices lutron or google? If that's the case a network issue makes more sense. The rules may be running but not able to contact the other devices. The lutron integration will definitely throw an error into the logs if it loses connection to the hub... you should see some evidence if that's the case.

Your Unifi console should be able to see at least a physical layer connection issue. If you go to the network console and the notifications page, then enable system notifications (if they are not already on) you will see each time a device connects or disconnects.

One trick I use that has saved my bacon a few times... I use a PoE splitter to power my hub from a PoE unifi switch. That way I can power it down simply by toggling power on the switch port, and I can do it remotely.

DO NOT port forward your Hubitat IP.
Unifi released Teleport VPN called recently with the latest unifi controller software. I have been playing with it the last few days and it's really easy to setup and reliable. Go this route if your gears support it.

3 Likes

Hubitat blocks it now anyway

3 Likes