Hubitat + Google Home + Switching Modes

Things are working smoothly with Google Home and Hubitat for me lately. (After that software update that fixed that "random bulbs are offline" issue)

I'm still having the problem where asking Google to change the mode works, but google always reports an error. I searched around for people but I found threads from a few months ago.

Any tricks for me to fix this issue? I don't switch modes often but I need to sometimes and it's a little annoying. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

I get the same error.

I ended up creating a virtual switch that changed the mode and then using that in a Google Home routine.

1 Like

Ditto what @ansible said.

Is there any possibility that Hubitat would fix this?
It should work by default, this is the error from the logs:
executeCmd- java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'online' on null object

Best bet would be to file a ticket with support.

Thanks ansible. Your solution worked for me.
I set up virtual switches in Hubitat for each desired Mode. Then used Mode Manager to set mode with these switches. Then, Added switches to Google Home and also used in GH routines.

I usually don't use GH for mode changes but recently have been and noticed this problem is still present. Was a ticket ever created for support? Or maybe someone from HE staff can comment on if its on the list of items to be fixed.

im setting my system up and have just run into to this, where do you create a ticket ?

You can email support@hubitat.com but this has been there since the launch of the Google Home integration. They are very aware of it.

I've emailed them.
What's best a virtual button or switch in the interim ?

Well, you can't use a virtual button as those won't sync to google home.

But using the built in virtual switch driver is the easiest. It has an "auto-off" function which allow it to act like a momentary switch. Once created you can sync to Google Home and then add it to a google home routine.

Thanks, I'm still using ST for mode change so I'll wait till I've moved more devices over, give them chance to fix the feedback/acknowledgement into GH

It's been that way for 2 years....so you might be waiting a LOOOONNNNGGGG time. :slight_smile:

Can you get a scene to trigger a mode change? Ie get GH to trigger the scene then the scene changes the mode, or would I still need a virtual switch in the loop?

No, scenes are for lighting only.

Why not simply use the virtual switch and a GH routine? I'm not understanding why that won't work for you?

Work fine, just another virtual switch, just exploring options

You would create another device if you were able to do this from a scene though too. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.