Hubitat, Google Home, and Android 11

Yup, they were.... Pre-Google acquisition and subsequent expulsion.

(if you can't tell, my opinion is that Google ruined Motorola's cell phone division)

1 Like

I remember waiting in line for the first moto "Droid" back on the day it was released. Exciting times... :slight_smile:

I've yet to see a better value than the LG Nexus 5. My wife still uses hers to this day!

RIP Nexus

1 Like

Yeah it's working. I wasn't all that worried. I could have done the ADB thing to downgrade and maybe got my data back but it was backed up anyway. Just restoring accts etc was a pain - otherwise all good.

1 Like

What you do in the privacy of your own home with your own tech is your business... not sure I really want to know the gory details :astonished::flushed: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Community Google integration. It gives you more control over how devices are passed along to Google, which might unlock more functionality for you.

1 Like

The Google Home app now let's you customize device types too. So if a switch shows up as a light, you can set it to a switch directly from the Google Home App. There are a limited number of device types google has built in support for.

1 Like

How do you do this? I can't seem to find that option.

It only works for a VERY small number of devices, and then may get overwritten. Switches and outlets seem to be the only things I have ever been able to get it to work on. If you have a dimmer, it is going to stay a light. You can tell google that a switch or outlet is a light, coffee maker, fan. If you really want to customize your devices in Google, your best option is the community integration.

1 Like

I've had similar findings as @djordan2112, just switches and outlets that seem to be changeable. The best use is occasionally, even using the community integration, the Google Home app will still show a switch as a Light, so if you don't want that switch as part of the "all room lights" option, you can change it back to a switch by finding that device in Google Home, selecting the gear and changing the device type on the settings page. If device type doesn't show, it's not changeable within Google Home maybe choose a different device type in the community integration. And if your device gets lumped into the "all room lights" option, you need to select the lights, then select the "number" lights below the title, then you can get to that individual device.

The major weakness as far as I can see is that you can't trigger a Google Home routine from a switch device - only by voice (which is annoying), time of day (which is very limiting) or pre-set routines for presence (just home/away). So, for example, if I'd like Google to turn my TV off as part of my automated routine running on Hubitat (since the Sharp Aquos driver on HE sucks so it can't do it directly) there's no way to do this. I can't kick off such a GH action from Hubitat. I have to command Google by voice. Well that's pathetic. It's not home automation at all.

Have you tried Google Action Blocks? You can create "voice commands" that trigger your assistant as if you spoke to it. It allows you to put Google Home routines on your phone as "widgets". It's not ideal, but at night I can trigger Goodnight from my phone home screen without talking.

Yes, but that's not the required use case. I just want to trigger a GH routine from HE. No way to do it. Right now GH really is a fabulously pathetic HA system in my opinion.

1 Like

I have a light and a fan that are both wall switches. They show up in Google Home as lights. I can't seem to change either one. I find the device, select it, click on the gear. It shows it as a light, but no way to change it that I can find.

1 Like

are you using the built in google home integration or the Community app linked above? I switched to the community app a while ago and it has way more options, and shows fans as Fans and not lights

If you have the fan named "xxx Fan" it is going to come in as a light, and you cannot change it. Same thing for the light. Hubitat's native integration will only import fans as lights. If you delete the fan from Google, rename it "switch 1" and bring it back in, it will let you change the device type. In my case I want to control fan speed, and as soon as I change the device type back to fan in Hubitat, it returns to being a dimmable light. Be careful trying this, as you may be left with ghost devices in your Google routines that you can't get rid of, even though they no longer show in your "Home" screen.

Strange since they are both wall switches in this case. They are Bedroom, which is the light, and Bedroom Fan. With Alexa I can say Bedroom and it controls the light only. If I say Bedroom Fan it controls fan only. Which is how it should be.

With Google if I say Bedroom it controls both. But I came up with a work around. I created 2 rooms in Google. Put the light in one called Bedroom and put the fan in one called fan. Now I say Bedroom and only the light responds. If I say Fan then only the fan responds. So it accomplished what I wanted.

I'm glad to hear you found a solution that works for you. When I have time I'll have to give the community integration a go. I really need my multi speed fans to be fans (as they where in ST), and I would also like to see the status of and lock my locks.

This new Android 11 feature seems to step in the right direction especially when comparing to iOS, does anyone know if these shortcuts allow for other platforms like Alexa or Hubitat directly? I think I saw somewhere that Samsung phones have SmartThings in that menu but I wasn't sure if that was a thing built into One UI or just native android.

I didn't look fully. Seems tasker has added support for customizing this new menu.