Hubitat gets the Save...again!

For the second time, Hubitat has saved me from major water damage.
About a year ago, I was alerted to water in my kitchen just minutes after a new fridge was installed. Yep, the ice maker supply line had been damaged when the fridge was being put back in position. It was just a small puddle but could have been much larger, as the wife and I were on our way out to a restaurant.
This morning, we were alerted to water in our utility closet. Well, the 25 year-old water heater had decided it didn't want to hold water any longer and had leaked only about a gallon before I could close the valve and drain the tank. Mobile app notifications, lights, Alexa notifications-everything worked perfectly and fast. Then I realized how lucky I am. The other day I was experimenting building conditional rules and had disarmed my HSM water monitoring, but had forgotten to re-arm. It was a "test" rule that alerted us.

@bravenel @chuck.schwer @mike.maxwell @patrick @bobbyD, and any one else I may have forgotten, your efforts building this platform are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
And thanks also to this community and the community developers.

13 Likes

Good catch !

1 Like

Sweet.

But the other day I ran out of beer and Hubitat didn't do anything. Still a long way to go with HA yet I think :wink:

10 Likes

No sensor; No notification. Get on that!

3 Likes

Need an alcohol level sensor installed in the toilet. If the ppm falls below a user definable setting, then beer gets reordered. Need face or bum detection to filter out wife and kids, visitors etc.

1 Like

Oh, how we laughed.

As soon as Amazon can ship you alcohol, you can expect to see some kind of sensor for automatic reorders. Maybe not one that is so invasive though. :wink:

1 Like

That's funny. I was just looking to see if Amazon Shopping had an IFTTT service we could play with. They don't. The person that figures out how to do automatic alcohol delivery will be a true superstar!

I'm thinking of the same thing. My approach will be using a load sensor under the beer shelf.

Then calculating the amount of beer available, rate of beer reduction & time to restock.
It would alert you to when restocking should be initiated and could recommend an amount to restock.
With some minimal added complexity it could also anticipate holidays like July 4th etc.:smiley:

1 Like

On a more serious note, the problem will be, it that you have to be accurate with your tracking. The pee sensor actually isn't a bad idea, but not practical. Eventually all products will have a form of very low cost RFID tag that will have more info than just present/not present. Manufacturers will be able to track down to a single item, not just by lot. Refrigerators will know what items are present and how many of them, so reorder will be trivial at that point. It may even be possible to sense how much is in a bottle of something by the temperature difference along the height of the bottle.

You will also need a gas detection sensor to tell you the produce has spoiled and send a notification and alert to remove the rotten cabbages.:nauseated_face:

Wow, you certainly got your money's worth out of that one :+1:

1 Like

Out of the many houses I've owned, I've NEVER had a hot water heater last >15 years. Ever.

I have bought more water heaters than I care to remember at this point. lol.

Don't expect your next one to last 25 years... They aren't made that way any more...

4 Likes

No, they probably aren't. I'm guessing they are more efficient, though.

That's probably true...

2 years ago I replaced my still working 27 year old hot water heater with a tankless. I knew it was old but not that old when my plumber informed me of its age.

1 Like

Guys, you need to regularly replace the sacrificial anode in your water heaters. In many cases this will increase the life of the tank by preventing galvanic corrosion.

This also has health benefits, if the rate of beer reduction is too low then you must be ill! :rofl: