New Hubitat Elevation Model C-7 Available

Yes, it will support C-5 to C-5, C-5 to C-7, and C-7 to C-7.

7 Likes

They will happily co-exist

2 Likes

Ouch! Luckily that's in the future!

The issue with S0 is one of overhead, as in lots of it.
S2 is 2 to 3 times more efficient in delivering the encrypted payloads.

7 Likes

Just ordered mine too, making the same leap from VeraPlus!

1 Like

I must admit I'm a bit peeved to learn that radio backup/restore is going be a paid cloud service right after ordering my C7:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/hub-protection-service-coming-soon/45408

Seriously? Where did we ever say this would be anything other than a subscription service?

1 Like

@ogiewon, I agree with your idea of taking a fresh look at your configuration and naming conventions. Sometimes, with the insight of time and experience, you may come up with improvements. As Frederick Brooks wrote in The Mythical Man-Month:

“As time passes, the system becomes less and less well-ordered. Sooner or later the fixing cease to gain any ground. Each forward step is matched by a backward one. Although in principle usable forever, the system has worn out as a base for progress. ...A brand-new, from-the-ground-up redesign is necessary.”

2 Likes

But S2 stuff would join securely now and not cause any issues, but with non S2 stuff we would just not join securely (if not needed). Then everything would hum along?

1 Like

Sure.. On each inclusion you select what security key grants to give to the device

2 Likes

Look I dont want to be rude to you as you are obviously here to help us, but please read what I wrote. I never made that allegation.

I was thinking about this while looking over the new zwave docs.

OT for this thread, but when would one want to give Access Control keys out? If there is a secondary controller that supports S2? I wouldn't think you would ever give it to an end device.

Access Control keys are typically for locks and security key pads

1 Like

Gotcha. :+1: I wasn't thinking correctly / conflating 2 different things.

S0/S2 isn't an area of expertise for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Example.. The ring keypads require access control

3 Likes

I'm afraid I read it the exact same way.. that you'd heard of the C-7, learned that it's available, bought one, and then learned about the Hub Protection Service, and got peeved.

5 Likes

While I'm OT... You know what would be super cool?

For Hubitat post an example driver w/S2 support to the github as an example(s) for us dummies to learn from.

4 Likes

Maybe I could have been clearer but my meaning was probably clear to the other Vera owner I was replying too. My statement was intended to convey that if you want radio backup and restore it is a paid service (vs Vera which isnt).

EDIT: looking at my OP, I used the phrase "going be" which denotes a future service, there was no mention of a past service.

You are absolutely correct.. We do need to do this.. I’ll work on one

Well, I don't know that you NEED to. But I selfishly WANT you to. lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes