Hubitat™ Dashboard V1 Documentation

So the temperature template will work with a thermostat to show the temperature attribute. As would the humidity template for same device.

We have plans for a thermostat template along with music player and volume (plus a few more) but these will probably launch with upcoming integrations that can use them (no hints there… :slight_smile: )

Interacting with these complex devices poses some more difficult challenges in a single “tile” interface…

Would love your thoughts on if we expose single tiles for single control, like setting fan and hvac modes. then a single tile for showing setting heat/cool setpoints?

Or would you want a single thermostat tile that has basic display info and then maybe a tap and hold popup (or just a tap popup) that has a more robust device interface?

There has been some internal debate on how the arrows should be. Column left/right makes sense.

The span is difficult as well, but it is meant to reflect the direction the span will increase, right and down.

We even discussed which should come first, rows then columns or columns then rows… Thoughts?

Tuff one to answer. I understand the complexitites.

Personally, a thermostat tile to me would display the temp (possibly humidity as a separate tile) and I guess basic controls to turn up/down the temperature. Everything else more advanced I think could be handled via another tile you add, or via popup if you log hold/tap the temp.

Thermostats are different and each have different capabilities, so I think having the tiles separated into specific features that they can control may be the best way to do it so you can add/remove what you want.

2 Likes

For a single tile, a pop up on click is the best idea, I think.

Here’s my suggestion: allow a double tile, and have each half be the up or down control. If the tile displays multiple attributes (ie fan, mode etc) please let those be hidden. My smart baseboard thermostats have no fan or cooling mode but the driver for “thermostat” displays the commands anyway.

1 Like

I just setup my first dashboard for all of my devices and here are a few comments and feature requests:

• Can you add a fan template? It would be nice to set low, medium, high versus the slider. Now this said some fan controls have 4-5 so maybe have another setting to set the number of speeds?
  • All devices is a bit confusing - I choose all devices, but all devices weren’t set on the initial dashboard. I had to manually calculate the number and then manually set a grid to fit that number. Could this automatically calculate a grid based on this?
  • With all devices, it would be great to set an order for the devices like by name or attribute type since they don’t appear to be in any order.
  • The dashboard doesn’t appear to scroll, which would be nice. While its responsive where the tiles change size, but smaller resolution browsers on tablets is harder to read everything
  • Could groups be added where I can put all the switches of a room into a group and then it will show on/off based on those devices? Or if I click Off it will turn off any lights that are on?

This is awesome though and may work to get me off of ST for the most part. I still have locks and thermostats there that aren’t supported in HE yet.

I like the idea of multi-attribute tiles. What if you click/hold it and a popup modal window appears to then adjust the settings. Thinking custom templates could be created to expose specific commands or settings.

The multi template doesn’t seem to work. I have a Aeon Multisensor 6 and its only showing temp and battery. Battery isn’t useful for me since its USB powered but I would like to see temp, motion, Lux, and humidity all on one tile.

It would be great if there were two dashboard options:

1. Existing where you can specify a certain dashboard
  2. Dashboard selection - make it work like modes where it will display a list and allow selection.

Brilliant work! This is a great foundation for the future! I will start migrating from ActionTiles as soon as I can. Some quick thoughts…

• A “high visibility” mode. I use a tablet on the wall pretty far away. With ActionTiles, I can clearly see open/closed/on/off etc from a distance, thanks to the whole square changing color. With the current dashboard, it’s pretty hard to see the green color change for some icons - contacts, for example. Maybe I’m missing a setting here?

• Two “levels” of highlight. Related to above, one great recent feature of ActionTiles is to be able to set some tiles to “warn” with another color when active. For example, my tiles for fridge and freezer turns red instead of orange. Really easy to spot even from afar - I don’t need to know exactly what’s wrong, but it’s clear that something is.

• Custom labels for tiles. Nice to have, mostly because my device names sometimes are long and descriptive in a way unnecessary for the dashboard.

• 24h option for the clock. Because Europe. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fan template is possible, we just need to standardize on how to handle speed. For now a virtual button could be used and create different single action tiles for each speed.

So, its really two different things. Authorizing the devices to the dashboard, and then in layout its adding them. The option to add all devices is really just a shortcut to put them on the grid. It’s not required, but handy.

Again, the intention was to quickly put them on the grid, and then let you move them around. No matter what, the order would probably be not to someone’s liking.

This layout engine uses a CSS grid method to fit the viewport. The purpose was not to scroll but add additional dashboards and dashboard tiles to create other grids. Specific dashboards for specific devices, orientations, etc. Using the import/export feature you can recreate dashboards or make quick changes pretty easy. A scrolling dashboard creates major issues with unintended taps on devices or inability to then use sliders effectively.

This can be done via other built in apps and virtual devices. At this point dashboard won’t be the spot to do this. As we work towards how we want to do Rooms/Groups, this will probably change.

The multi template was written for contact sensors in mind. Next up will be a custom attribute tile that will show a single attribute raw value. Device specific tiles could be created as the use case arises. Showing 4 values on a single tile gets tough, but its not impossible.

This does exist, choose the device “Dashboards” and the template “dashboard” you will then get a drop down list of your existing dashboards. You can add that to a dashboard to create links to that dashboard. Could even create a dashboard of just dashboards. :slight_smile:

This has been discussed. One option was to add the ability to specify a background color for specific templates. This would probably be done in the child app and not in the web / dashboard interface.

Thanks for that feedback. I think the above idea of being able to specify a color for the template active or on state different then the current color could handle this case as well.

So, this is interesting… Why are your device names long and not descriptive? The system already has name and label (we use label) but adding a dashboard name would be another name that could lead to confusion… Not saying it isn’t a good idea, but the dashboard is meant to reflect your current device settings, attributes, etc. Changing the name probably should be done at the device level, not tile level… But willing to explore this more for sure… Certainly buttons are a perfect use case for a label for that specific button number.

Believe it or not it was 24 hours for the longest time… We could probably pull location info and determine automatically. But maybe a dashboard child app option might be better since some might prefer one over the other?

Appreciate the feedback, keep the ideas, suggestions, complaints, bugs, etc. coming. We know this is just a starting point for us. Use cases are vastly different for users and dashboards are highly personal things. We wanted to create something that was flexible, fast and robust enough to quickly add templates.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s wacky. So “grid size” has row and column side by side, but add or edit a tile has row and column above each other. Could you make the latter side-by-side for consistency?

1 Like

Great start on dashboard! I would like to see a read-only attribute option for individual tiles.
Also, if I try to display a switch as an outlet, the whole panel gets corrupted. Must be a bug in there.

Odd, can you provide more info on this? I’m pm you for some troubleshooting details.

Sorry, let me rephrase, I would prefer a single dashboard button that when clicked opens a modal to select a dashboard from a list to navigate to. What exists now is basically a link type button that is hard coded to a specific dashboard. If I have 10 dashboards, I will need 10 buttons. The mode selector is kinda what I would prefer as an example.

It would be really cool if we could define a header row that stays on all dashboards with specific tiles like the mode and dashboard selector, time etc.

Thanks for the clarification. The dashboard main menu kind of already serves as the master list of dashboards. Of course you could make a dashboard of just dashboards and then just use that as a link on the dashboards… A bit of inception there… :slight_smile:

The header row is interesting, doesn’t really fit in the model right now, but you could easily export the layout and reuse the header row in each new dashboard after import.

I noticed a behavior that I am not sure if it is intentional or not… On iOS, when I save the link to the ‘dashboard main menu’ to my ‘Home Screen’ (via the “add to Home Screen” option), i notice that the ‘dashboard main menu’ is rendered correctly as a full screen app (no url window, no navigation controls, etc…) However, once I select one of the dashboard links, those are opened within a Safari browser window. Is there any way to stay within the ‘full screen app’ paradigm?

1 Like

Sadly, not without saving each individual dashboard to your home screen.

I second this. I have each dashboard saved to my homescreen. The dashoard tile still opens the new dashboard in safari.

So is the momentary capability different from that on SmartThings?

1 Like

Sounds great! Child app or web interface really doesn’t matter from my point of view, as that is a setting that you will not change very often. This might also be related to myself having a color vision deficiency, so that it sometimes is hard to distinguish between nuances at a glance - for example, grey and green in this case.

I guess it’s mostly down to language. I tend to organize and name things in English, especially when the rest of the UI/app is in English or the whole thing is written for English. For example, even Windows have some translations so damn stupid that it is all but impossible to understand in Swedish.

But, for a very visible thing like a dashboard on a wall, it’s suddenly presented to the rest of the family, guests, relatives and so on. It’s just nice to be able to present bulbs, windows and other things in Swedish there, easy to understand for everyone without thinking.

Of course, I realize most people just doesn’t have any “issues” like this. :stuck_out_tongue:

A child app option sounds great! Again, this is something that one will probably never change after initial setup. And of course, 12h with AM/PM is understandable for us in the 24h mafia, it’s just that we have to think for a fraction of a second every time which is surprisingly annoying in the long run… :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, thanks for your hard work!

EDIT: For reference, this is my current ActionTiles dashboard in the kitchen. It’s mostly for information and we almost never interact with it, but it’s visible from the kitchen, the living room and even from our bed in the master bedroom. Easy to see if something is “off”. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMZszX6OC_Jg7gy8a04R-_FeRxWTQ

2 Likes

Looking good! I was wondering if we will be able to make our own device templates?

1 Like

It would appear so. At this time, I do not believe the Hubitat Dashboard has a Tile/Template that can call the push() command of a traditional ‘Momentary’ ST Capability device.

I understand the desire to have a “Momentary Switch” style of tile, which just calls the on() command of a “Switch” or “Relay Switch” device.

I believe there should be another Tile/Template which properly calls the traditional “Momentary” push() command.

Otherwise, every device that today implements just Capability Momentary will need to also implement “Switch” and the on() command.

@patrick - thoughts?