Hubitat C7 - Z-Wave radio randomly shutting down? Help please

The stats are reset after a reboot. Check that again in about 12 hours to see if anything looks excessive.

Also, please do a restore/backup to clean the database, no harm in trying it, it may solve it.

Looks like your Z-Wave troubles are not new. Were you able to stabilize your Z-Wave mesh since May? Power outages can lead to critical radio failure over time:

Have had z-wave trouble since day 1 yes, would not recommend it to my worst enemy. However, it has been a long long time without issues other than this one. My hubitat is on battery backup, so power outages do not seem to be an issue for it. I have no reason to believe the mesh is unstable, other than these random radio crashes. Everything works perfectly and quickly otherwise.

Thanks for pointing this out. Database size is 6mb so at least that's a positive thing. I will try a retore/backup.

I was speaking generically. They are all logs

A struggling mesh will eventually give up without addressing issues head on. Most users don't have Z-Wave problems, not since day one, and not after day 2190 as in my own case. If you'd like, you can send me your hub ID and I'd be happy to check your hub's engineering log to see if anything stands out to explain the problems you are having. As I am sure you've already done, it wouldn't hurt to review this post to make sure your devices aren't using too much of your Z-Wave radio bandwidth, which can lead to radio collapse:

1 Like

I agree. I just think it's hidden in a very very counterintuitive place. I would expect an alert from the hubitat that shows up upon login (just like for an available software update) when the entire z-wave network has crashed. I would set things up so my wall tablets show a big fat sad face with the text Z-wave radio crashed, except it's pretty obvious when all the lighting and thermostats etc etc in my house abruptly stop working.

I really appreciate your time and expertise and will gladly message you the hub ID - thanks bobbyD! I do have a few polling events that run as well as a couple of power reporting devices, but have not found that they spam the network enough to cause issue - but I could be wrong.

You can write a notifcation rule for that and zigbee as well..

1 Like

Can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety? (use windows snip)

1 Like

My details page is so long that screenshots are not an option as far as I can tell.
Please try viewing this PDF of the page -

I did redact the device names.

As many S0 and S2 devices you have, you could say that you have 100 x 3 devices in your mesh. Fibaro, Zooz and Inovelli have had issues reported with their encryption for both S0 and S2 firmware. Unless you have updated the firmware on those devices, the probability that those are causing problems is very high.

Oof, have heard something like this before.

I had included them with these security settings before I knew any better. I could start to go around excluding and reincluding them without security. Based on past experience I expect this would cause my mesh to go wild for a few days, and possibly lead to some ghost nodes I'd have to remove with the silicon labs software. They do not make this easy! I wonder if this would be worth doing to try and fix the radio crash I am having. I hesitate since this issue is new and was not occurring for years with all these same devices setup this way.

Yes it would be worth it. Also, if you are thinking to split your mesh as we discussed in private, this may be your opportunity to redesign your home automation approach and move around devices by floors/required encryption (isolate S0 on one hub and keep the other devices on another hub). Just remember, only locks and garage doors require encryption, everything else can be included without it. Doing so will reduce the number of events that the radio must handle when it communicates with encrypted devices, so the end result would be a faster, more robust mesh experience.

1 Like

Thank you bobbyD and everyone else for your time and help today. I will take this advice and hopefully in the near future buy a C8 hub and split the mesh in the way you stated. I can certainly remove security on nearly all the devices in my home. I have less than 5 devices where it is necessary.

Can you do it so it looks like this? Use windows snip

Not any real reason to. Unless there is something in there with your home address there is no identifying information on this page

I see customers running into problems when they use smartstart to include devices. While SmartStart is a convenient way of including devices, by default it connects the device with highest security level, so if the device has a firmware problem and fails to encrypt the device, then the possibility of creating ghosts increases exponentially. I always include devices using conventional inclusion mode that gives me the option to include devices without encrypting them.

2 Likes

I have found this to be true myself and stopped using smartstart.

1 Like