Hubitat Business Model

I am wondering what the overall Hubitat business model is? Having tried Google (home hub, home speaker, speaker mini) I have quickly come to appreciate the Hubitat concept and local control and storage of data. I found the Google environment was riff with spying and advertising.
Subscriptions seem to be the current rage for many businesses which all seek a method of "auto renewal" with varying issues to discontinue those subscriptions. Timeshares may be the best example of how hated that model can be. I want to support Hubitat and have attempted that through hub or device gifts to friends with comparable interests in geek type topics or items. I would be happy to prepay for a fixed term service without "auto renewal". Is this available through Hubitat? I have no desire to leave my estate with numerous subscriptions to clean up/terminate.

Right now the only subscriptions are Hub Protect (Like an extended warranty you also get backups of your z-wave radio) and Remote Admin. If you log into your hub and click subscriptions it will bring you to that page.

Yup, went there. The information provided doesn't answer any questions or even discuss the "auto renewal" feature which is so common with "subscriptions" today. As a mechanical engineer with an MBA and a retired business owner I may have all of the worst characteristics of each. Yes, I'm anal, I want all the details, my MBA education taught me a distinct disdain for much of current management fad. My experience with Google, both as a business owner and a private citizen, have given me a very healthy dose of distrust for anything which isn't very clearly stated. Can I prepay for 1 year of hub protect without "auto renewal"? That question is not answered for me.

@bobbyd can you turn off the autorenewal feature on the subscriptions?

[Not speaking of Hubitat subscriptions here as I don't use any, but just in general.]

While I always gladly meet the obligations I agree to by setting a calendar reminder to cancel well before an autorenew would occur, I always use a separate virtual credit card number for each subscription or "free trial" that I take on. The card would expire in 2 months and have a credit limit just a few dollars above the initial purchase. If none of your credit cards support virtual numbers, in many cases you can use a prepaid debit card.

2 Likes

Delete your "payment method" after subscribing. Set your calendar for a year from now and add it back in if you want to continue.

3 Likes

Yeah, that's what I also do on other services (not HE, as I'm happy to throw $$ at their subscriptions). The easiest path if their subscription setup doesn't offer end-dates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.