Hubitat - Block access to hubitat servers

I did a simple test, and I put in a block on my firewall to anything going to port 8883 from my Hubitat. This blocks access to the Hubitat servers from what I see.

I noticed, IFTTT broke. However, Ecobee continue to work, but if you need to reauthenticate it requires the cloud.

So the question is, does every single internet service require the hubitat cloud to work?

I don't think so. When I wrote my Pushover integration for Hubitat, it communicates directly with the Pushover servers. The Hubitat Cloud server is not required. This works because the traffic always originates from the Hubitat Hub to the Pushover cloud servers.

If an integration requires unsolicited input from a cloud service, then it needs to go through the Hubitat cloud server via an OAuth2 app running on the Hub. IFTTT would be a good example of this.

2 Likes

Nope!
I’m working on an email solution which does not connect to HE cloud servers
It connects directly to the internet to send email

Andy

4 Likes

Tested Ecobee and Pushover which seem to work. The only one I'm noticing not working with this block in place is IFTTT.

Bingo!

Anything that 'starts' out on the Internet would use that.. Dashboards, Amazon Echo, Google Home.

Weather would work because it polls from the hub out to the Internet, exactly like Pushover and Andy's (preview of) email product.

3 Likes

Darn....

Since I use both I have no choice but to leave the connection open.

Tease :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Nah... this is teasing...

12 Likes

and the Cobra strikes !

4 Likes

What wil happen first?......

Brexit
or
Andy's github coming back up

4 Likes

2 Likes

Hahaha!
Brexit!!

My github will never return all apps etc will only be on the website :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the url for the website already? LOL!

1 Like