Hubitat and Echo show 8

I couldn't resist the price for the Echo Show 8 at $70.00 so I popped for two. One will be a Christmas present.
That leaves the second one for integration into my Hubitat network.
This leads me to the question of how are others deploying the Echo show devices in their networks? I have several Reolink cameras that are already displaying on the Hubitat dashboard which I am quite please with.
I also recently received two Reolink Doorbell cameras. I have discussed these else where.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards.
Glenn...

Using Echo Speaks is what most do. I suppose you could also make a dashboard for it.

1 Like

If you have Ring (or Blink, I think) cameras then you can have Live Integration with your Echo Show.

If not, then you have to make do with second best. The best that you can do is either link with a Reolink skill, or try and use the facility at monoclecam.

Both approaches are not very good in comparison with the great integration of Ring.

1 Like

I use my echos for voice commands and with echo speaks to have messages play on the devices.

It would be possible to also access dashboards via its web browser, but it will need to be initiated manually or via voice first, and it won’t stay on the screen for very long. Also, music will not play on the device while the web browser is up.

Did you see this other thread about using HE dashboards on an Echo show?

1 Like

Hum... re Echo Speaks. Is it still working? as I thought it worked with Heroku and that that service had gone the way of the dodo bird ? Or did I miss something. I would love to use my Echo Shows to speak from HE.
Thanks.

It is still working. You can use Heroku by paying $5 per month, or set up the server locally. I set mine up on a Pi Zero which we had and weren’t using. Others have setup through other means.

3 Likes

Heh Sebastien:
I have a couple of Pi Zero's sitting around and I would really like to know how you set your up?
CAn you provide more detail?
Thanks. Merry Christmas.

I wish I could, but my son is the expert here… he (@dimitri.m.viel) might be able to help you. He did get all his information from the community, mostly from the posts within this topic:

Thanks for the update.

Is that the only option to get Alexa Echo devices to speak within HE or are there other possibilities ? I do have a spare pi 3b I could use, if that is the only solution.

I know of no other ways to make Hubitat speak through Alexa, so I would say that yes, it is the only option.

I gave up on Echo Speaks because my "speak needs" are limited. Echo can speak defined phrases with routines triggered by virtual contact sensors. I have the Show announce garage door openings/closings, mailbox opening and a couple of others. A clever one is an Amazon skill that allows an mp3 file to be played. I'm using the old AOL "You've got mail." for the mailbox.

Post 51 Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂 - #54 by Hal3

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.