Hubduino ST_anything and C8 migration

Quick question - i have a number of ST_anything devices all pointing to my C7. The ST_anything devices actually point to the physical IP address of the Hubitat C7. So when i migrate to C8, i want to use the same IP as my C7 (in order to avoid recoding all my ST_anything devices) .

I assume the best (and probably only) way of doing this is to :

• do the cloud migration save on my C7, then unplug it
  • get new C8 running - register etc etc
  • change C8 ip address to = old C7 ip address. Used Fixed IP vs DHCP
  • change router to associate old C7 IP address with C8 MAC address
  • restart router
  • restart C8
  • Restore C8 from cloud to complete the migration

does that make sense ?

I don't have a C8 so the migration part is out of my league, but I would not use a fixed IP, just do the Ip reservation on router to the new C8 MAC, when you boot back up, it will use the IP your old C7 used before (done this with C5 to C7 hub change).

Don't do this :point_up:

1 Like

I agree with @nclark's advice above.

I made a few tweaks to the process below

• upgrade both hubs to the latest version of Hubitat firmware
  • do the cloud migration save on my C7
  • Disable the Zigbee and Z-Wave radios on the C7
  • disable all cloud integration apps, and disable the parent HubDuino Device
  • Perform an orderly shutdown on the C7 and then unplug it
  • get new C8 running - register etc etc
  • change router to associate old C7 IP address with C8 MAC address via the router's DHCP server
  • restart router
  • restart C8, and verify it is using the C7's old IP address
  • Restore C8 from cloud to complete the migration

Here are some additional steps/tips from my migration from C7 to C8

1 Like

nclark, thanks for the advice, will do..

For my own learning.. is Fixed IP problematic for the hub or something ?

It's not problematic and can be used when you don't have access to your router settings (loaned router/WiFi from ISP) and there is just nothing else you can do, the problem with fixed IPs is that the router does not know that you are have a fixed IP and some routers could assign the IP to another device before the hub has finished booting and tells the router it's fixed IP that is now the same as another device using DHCP. Now you can have problems depending on how the router behaves in that situation.

If it's your router and/or you have access to settings the prefered way is always reserved IP so that the router does not assign that IP to another device if/when the hub is offline, rebooting, etc.

Having both reserved and fixed IP is not a best practice thing to do, always reserved first, fixed IP when no other choice.

excellent info - thanks for the advcice..

@fdelima - Have you performed the migration to the C8, yet? I am hopeful that your HubDuino/ST_Anything devices are still working fine afterwards. Please let me know if you find any issues specific to HubDuino and the migration. Thanks!

1 Like

Dan I have NOT migrated my hub that hosts all my ST_Anything devices.. The Arduino ST_Anything sketch has the Hubitat IP + port hard coded. and I have a few of these devices around the house.
So I would have to migrate to the new hub, then change the new hubs IP to the same IP of the old C7.

If I survive all that, then my next challenge is that ST_Anything devices (on my new C8) must be hub-meshed to another old C7 that is a central hub for all my dashboards and all my webcore pistons.

I have already had all kinds of issues with hub mesh on another c7 to c8 migration.

1 Like

Just to make sure you're aware... There is a new option in the Hub Mesh settings to repair broken Hub Mesh devices caused by the migration process. This was added during the C8 beta testing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.