HubConnect Device Drivers?

I believe that I have my 2 HE hubs linked successfully via HubConnect - at least they show as 'online' so I think I have gotten that far. I'm not sure exactly what all things I might want to consider doing now that HubConnect is up and running but the first thing that occurs to me is that I'd like to have all my Dashboards on a single screen. To that end, I think I've got a hurdle to jump. The screen below indicates that I need to have two drivers installed on the master hub.

*HubConnect Dimmer
*HubComment Switch

How do I acquire these drivers and how do I install them (I guess on the server)?

Use steps 3 and 4 from the instructions...

HubConnect

Instructions

Drivers

1 Like

Once they are properly installed I presume that I will be able to add devices that are located on the client to the server's Dashboard in the same manner as I set up the original Dashboard?

On the client, I show the 'HubConnect Remote Client" under 'Apps Code'. Additionally, on the client, there is nothing displaying under 'Drivers Code'. I presume that there should be drivers there, no?

Yes.

Only if you are exporting devices from the Coordinator/Master hub to the client.

Edit - AFAICT, you are exporting only devices from the client hub to the coordinator hub. If that is true, then you will only need HubConnect drivers on the coordinator hub.

For now, I merely want to be able to control the devices (via the Dashboard) that are on the client from the server. Both the coordinator and the client are online. I have selected the devices I want to link to the coordinator hub (see image above). At the bottom of the screen I am prompted to be sure that I have HubConnect Dimmer and HubConnect Switch drivers installed. How do I tell if they have been installed?

Did you install them as described by @bptworld in this post and in the HubConnect documentation?

For your specific setup, you only need to install the drivers on the coordinator hub.

I believe I have successfully carried out step 3, (1-4). I don't know that I need to install ALL drivers so I have not done step 4, as it says it is optional. However, if I don't install ALL the drivers, how do I install those that I need (there appear to be 2)?

When you go under "Drivers Code" from the side-bar, do the HubConnect drivers show up?

See below (screenshot from one of my hubs):

Did you cut and paste the code for each HubConnect driver as a new driver and then save it?

Here's the relevant portion of the Hubitat Documentation on how to install a custom driver.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Install_Custom_Drivers

1 Like

Nope. HubConnect Remote Hub is the only driver that shows up in the Drivers section on my coordinator hub. So I'll need to do some copying and pasting apparently. What am I copying though? a URL? just code? And where do I find these HubConnect drivers?

Please read the HubConnect installation instructions.

@bptworld included the specific link you need to find the HubConnect drivers in his post above.

Here's that link again:

HubConnect Universal Drivers

The Hubitat documentation on how to install custom drivers will teach you how to install the HubConnect drivers.

And again, in your specific setup, you only have to do this on the coordinator hub.

1 Like

I've been following the documentation you referenced. Regardless of if I try to import a single, selected driver from the github site or if I enter the supplied URL from the installation documentation for ALL the drivers, I get the same result. Looks like an error message.

Cannot get property 'parent' on null object

Go to the GitHub link for Universal Drivers

Click on the name of the specific driver you wan to import. That will bring up a screen that looks like this:

Click on Raw (indicated by the red arrow)

That'll bring up a screen that looks like this:

Copy the entire URL from the browser's address bar in that screen (indicated by the red arrow).

Now follow directions in the Hubitat - How to Install Custom Drivers

You will have to do steps 3, 4, and 5. For step 4, you will click on the Import button and paste the URL.

Finally, repeat this process for each HubConnect driver that you need to install.

1 Like

Along with all the other correct answers, I created a list of import URLs for you, in my answer to you yesterday.

One big hint I'll offer is to use the Import feature of Hubitat to install the components of HubConnect.

Here's a quick table of all the Import URLs:

HubConnect Import URLs

I recently created some very simple screen capture videos on the installation process:
HubConnect Server Install

HubConnect Remote Install

A 2nd hint is to help understand where the Universal drivers get installed:

Imagine you have a real dimmer or switch. It's mounted in the wall, replacing what was there before. You Join it to a Hub and it's given a 'real driver' on that hub. The OTHER HUB gets the Universal Driver.

3 Likes

Well, thanks to yall's help, I was finally able to add the drivers I need. Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes

No worries. We were all there once ..... :smile:

1 Like

I have an idea for HubConnect. Would it be possible to dynamically create virtual device commands and attributes for Any shared device vs importing all these one off drivers? I realize the custom attributes feature is available but why not have the code do this automatically when evaluating a physical device driver? It could be transparent to the user and make upgrades easier in the future when distributing updated drivers across multiple remote hubs. Is there an API to remotely import a device driver on a remote hub? Just a thought.