HubAction - UDP Response Port

I figure @gopher.ny can probably give out a quick yes/no to this question, and I know that opening an unsolicited UDP server port isn't on the list of things-to-do, but I'm wondering if we can customize a HubAction to listen for a response from a device on a specific port before its time-out is called.

A driver I'm working on sends all of its responses to port 8888 on the hub, which obviously, the hub won't hear since it's not listening on that port.

2 Likes

Not in 2.2.9, but I see a value of doing it through HubAction.

4 Likes

Awesome, and thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled in future releases.

1 Like

@gopher.ny Is there some technical reason as to why we can't have a permanently open UDP receive port using a configurable port ?

Receiving and parsing unsolicited UDP broadcast messages is a feature I would really like.

2 Likes

My guess would be they use an iptables firewall to lock down inbound ports so while not impossible it would be challenging to be able to do it with a user configurable port as you'd have to update iptables dynamically. That could open up all sorts of issues, plus would mean there's no longer a "standard" setup across hubs.

I don't see why they couldn't do a set UDP listen port though, like they do with HTTP for 39501 (I think?).

2 Likes

No idea if they actually use iptables, you’re probably right. This would be trivial to do though. I built a solution to do this nearly 20 years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.