Hub unreachable mobile reset?

hi all, ive just fit a wifi switch to my hubs power supply, my hub goes unreacheable and only comes back after I cycle the power, does anyone know if I can get the hub to notify me outside of the lan, im trying to work out how I can get IFTTT to cycle my power if my hub goes unreacheable for more than 4 mins, I have it connected to wall mounted tablets, and I don't want to et to the tablet to turn on the lights just to work out its unrecheable and im in darkness until its reset, thanks for any help

How often does your hub go unreachable and is there any noticeable reason why (power brownout)? I have only had that happen once in the year or two I've had it. You may have a rule or app causing issues and may be able to prevent this from happening by pausing the app or rule. As long as your wifi and internet are still accessible when this happened than your WiFi switch (smart plug?) should work if it works with IFTTT but you would need a service that interfaces to IFTTT that could ping your hub which would require opening a port through your firewall which would be a security risk.

it goes unreacheable probably 2-3 times a week normally, but then also can go a week with no issues, ive only got some outside lights to go on at 9pm then off at 11, and 2 hue motion sensors turning some lights on for 60 mins when motions detected, I have no user apps an no custom drivers, its a fairly simple system, hilariously I have another with all sorts of homemade drivers etc an its never gone offline ever

ive just installed this wifi smartplug, just so I can do it remotely, I can confirm that the wifi etc was still accessible while the hub was unreachable, and also no power issues, I monitor power and the wifi/LAN in managed, nothing out of the ordinary has shown up, so im not sure where to start really, ive already got an open port for security cameras, id rather not port it, I was hoping I could get the something to notify me when the hub was unreachable but im at a loss as to how I can do this currently, do you know if theres a way I could get the hub to power down an back up automatically? I just don't know what the lasting effects of cycling the power is going to do to the hub

There is a http command ( http://ip.address/hub/reboot) you can send to reboot your hub as long as it is responsive enough for that, the problem would be then to figure out a way to identify that it is not working correctly since if the reboot command worked it would obviously respond to ping and to web requests so you'd need to look for a specific response that isn't available only when it won't control your devices.

Is there a difference in hardware or firmware between the two hubs? I've notice my new C5 hub has more issues with firmware updates (reboot required prior to update) than my C4 hub even when they are on the same firmware.

im gonna have to try this out, i have a amazon fire tablet with chrome on that does a great job at knocking the hub offline, i worked this out by accident, so ill power it up an seen if the command works, then onto how on earth to get a notification, i have been looking to see if there was an email option for it being unreachable but i cant find one,

im not sure, ill check which one i have when i get home, the one here ill screenshot the info, everytime an update appears ive just clicked okay and there hasn't been any drama on either yet

im just looking at the one here and it is a C4, the one at home must be the same as my home one is far older than this one

The C4 hub came with an external USB Zigbee/Z-Wave radio stick were the C5 has both built-in.

I would suggest that if the hub is unreachable, then even if this option was available it wouldn't be able to send it anyway as it is essentially offline.
Just an observation and I'm probably way off the mark. :slight_smile:

my thoughts were that the app states the hub is unreachable so there might be something in there that may help, but it was a dead end lol, both my hubs have external, i feel like i need the 5 now based on thing but knowing it exists