Hub Temperatures

This should work fine. You may have redo your dashboard URL’s and any cloud integrations like Amazon. My C4 was not reliable, even with no devices it would overheat and die every few weeks. Moving same rules and devices (with C4 stick) to a C5 and my uptime is in months only because I’ve updated it.

1 Like

Ah ha, Thank You, someone else who sees the readings in the 30's. This is impossible unless there is a peltier cooler in the hub, which I highly doubt. Most likely a glitch in reporting or conversion.

Awesome. Alexa is one of the few apps actually on the hub with the devices. I was afraid putting it on the other hub and using the linked devices would confuse it. My Alexa has a slight tendency to recreate and duplicate devices, so i thought it would be best to have it on the hub withthe actual devices.
My thought is to share the devices to the new hub then restore the back up from the old hub. Does that sound about right? or should I restore first them share the devices?

Th only other cloud integration I currently have is Ecobee. I never got around to putting Rachio on, just because right now I don't really see a need to include it. I probably need to play with that more. I've also considered putting the cloud stuff on a separate hub all together (with the exception of Alexa, unless I'm just over thinking that one).

I don’t know why you’d share with the hub. I took a backup of my C4, moved the stick and restored it to the C5. Most everything worked. Then use hub mesh to share out things you want to share with other devices.

2 Likes

The C4 doesn't have any devices on it. Just rules, apps, the ecobee integration and the linked devices shared from the C7 that DOES have the devices on it. As a matter of fact the radios are disabled and stick removed.

This whole thing started because I had been having issues with the C4 locking up (sending my wife in to a panic) every couple weeks. When we moved and had to redo everything anyway I bought a C7 (ended up buying 2, long story). the idea is the C4 just handles the rules, and the C7 houses the devices. This has definitely helped the stability issues . Now I'm just thinking i should upgrade the c4 to the spare C7 and retire the C4.

If you’re simply migrating a C4 to a C7, with no Zigbee or Z-wave devices involved whatsoever, then the process is pretty simple.

Backup the C4 and download to your PC. Shutdown the C4. Restore the backup file to the C7. (note, the C7 will lose everything on it during this process, so back it up beforehand just in case.) Then, fix whatever isn’t working correctly. That’s really about all there is to it.

I’m not saying things will 100% just work, but that’s about as good as it gets when switching hubs.

5 Likes

Thanks, that's what i was thinking / hoping..

4 Likes

UPDATE
This is my current set up using a laptop cooling pad (linked above)
with two built in fans to cool my hubs. The C4 is gone leaving my 2 C7's this arrangement keeps my hub temps on average between 92 and 105 degrees.
In regard to the one hub vs. multi hub debate. I probably could do everything I do one one hub. But With the issues I had with the C4 previously (locking up routinely, which I now think was caused by overheating) I'm just being overly cautious.

2 Likes

That's some pretty serious cooling you got there.
Only thing left on that cooling is to automate the led blue for normal temp and red for high temp. Yeah, your wife will probably roll her eyes.

1 Like

1 Like

When I ordered the laptop cooling pad, I didn't even realize it had the LED's. Maybe when I get bored I'll look in to temperature range coloring. Also, if anyone decides to try this, the built in USB power ports in the stand don't put out enough power for the hubs. Needless to say , it didn't help as much in cleaning up the wires and cords as I had hoped, but I have another idea in development with a UPS that should help quite a bit. That closet is just a hot (literally) mess. I really wish i could figure out a better way to manage all of the equipment and keep it cool and functional.

Get a POE switch. I just grabbed a Catalyst 3750-X Series PoE+ WS-C3750X-48PF-S V02 for $150 off ebay. You could run everything off POE with some cheap power/ethernet adapters. 1 wire for each hub. They also have 24 port models

Just make SURE you don't connect the hub to a POE port - The instructions are very explicit about not doing this.. (I assume even the passive active POE ports)

WARNING! Your Hubitat Elevation hub DOES NOT support PoE (Power over Ethernet). Attaching your hub to a PoE port will cause permanent damage and void the warranty.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Registration_and_setup

Just don't want to see someone voiding their warranty accidentally.

4 Likes

I've never had a problem in the 2 years I've been doing this. Cisco says the switch (2960 and now 3750) is "smart" and only applies power when requested. You can also manually turn off the POE on individual ports, which I did at first but now just use auto. This old enterprise gear is very robust and a heck of a bargain. I'll never use all 48 ports....Unless some new HA gear comes out !

2 Likes

I agree with you of course which is why I was wondering about active POE ports but that's a question for Hubitat, Inc.. Their terms. They have to support users with a wide variety of tech experience.

1 Like

This is a C7, all I have done is added little bumper pads to the bottom so it gets better air flow. It sits flat on a shelf with some other equipment. Ambient temp in the house typically floats around 70F

After my little home built cooling pad rig and retiring the the c4, these are pretty much the normal temp for my hubs now a day's.

2 Likes