Hub slowdown fixed for me

You read my mind. I was just going to link to that thread as well. I think a lot of people would find the information presented here very interesting. Given the insulting language that has been used around this topic, I find it quite amusing to read.

While some people would be held up as the savior of the community, I am derided as a fool or crazy for having first raised this issue back in January. Yes...for all the haters out there, it was me who first brought this up.

You're welcome.

6 Likes

I hope you don't perceive that reaction to represent the majority view. To the contrary, several of us, including me, removed Peanuts from our zigbee networks. And I can't speak for anyone else, but I recall sending you a PM at the time indicating I had followed your advice.

3 Likes

I tend to try and stay away from smart home devices that cheap.. Other than ebay items that used to cost more..

4 Likes

Majority? No, probably not. Extremely vocal minority? Absolutely.

Thank you for cracking the peanut problem, but let's make sure we keep things constructive.

5 Likes

First time I heard about issues with peanut plugs was back when the xiaomi devices were new and we were trying to figure them out. They were on the list of repeaters that didn't work. Even though people were reporting problems we just always thought it was xiaomi specific That is why I always steered people away from them. Just in case one day they wanted to get a xiaomi device.

But then there was the reveal by @Ryan780 and then @april.brandt, and now they are on the naughty list.

2 Likes

I have 12 peanut plugs around my home and haven't seen any slowdown with Zigbee at all. I am using the "Generic Zigbee Outlet" driver and have not re-flashed the firmware of the outlets to allow for power reporting.

I have one to two Samsung buttons in each of my rooms, 30 Sengled Zigbee bulbs, 12 Samsung water sensors etc. I hit a button and my lights just come on instantaneously.

1 Like

Well, the typical thing to do would be to blame this all on @patrick since he recommended peanut plugs, and most importantly because he’s not here anymore. That’s just what you do right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

5 Likes

This was SOP where I used to work. Everyone looked at departures as a 6 month free spot.
The saying was "He with the biggest grin just thought of a scape goat"

1 Like

LMAO....exactly!!!

But seriously, I recommended Peanut plugs for a long time too. And some people have wonderful experiences with them. But I think that there is a lot more interactions going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of. Some devices just don't play well with others. For the most drastic example of this, look at Xaoimi devices with Iris plugs. They won't repeat to save their life. But Tradfri plugs repeat perfectly. So, depending on your setup, peanut plugs may be wonderful. But for me, they go on the YMMV list at this point.
:man_shrugging:

Also, this goes to show you that you can have multiple different reasons your hub starts to slow down. There really isn't just one cause or one problem you can tie it to. And hence, there will be no magic bullet that fixes every hub every time. Just not the nature of the beast unfortunately. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I took up this hobby. Some days I wish I had a time machine to go back and slap myself before I bought that very first Wemo plug way back when. Hehe.

7 Likes

@razorwing and I were getting these off our networks last September due to issues with the Lightify 4-button switches. I will say that I thought/hoped it was an isolated issue with that device until you pointed out what was happening in the routing table. I haven’t had one of those switches drop, or need more than one press to work, since I finally put the peanuts in my junk drawer.

3 Likes

Mine in on my "problem children" Zigbee network with my 3 Cree bulbs (All of which are in outside fixtures that leak and still refuse to die.) and my Syvania under-cabinet lights edge-lit lights which a couple other folks reported as screwing up their mesh, so better safe than sorry.

That's a Deconz network on a Conbee stick. It seems to play very well with the other devices I have over there and repeats well for the Crees.

1 Like

I had 8. I kept two that are on an Almond 3 router (actually both my HEs are plugged into them, so I can remotely do a shutdown via HE, and a restart via the Almond). The other 6 I put on eBay, while indicating compatibility with Almond routers, the Amazon Echo Plus, and ST (but leaving Hubitat off the list).

3 Likes

Where I used to work, you wanted to never miss a meeting - you'd get all the blame for last week, and all the extra work for next week.

When someone got canned, it was (as you note) at least two months of "blame the dead guy".

2 Likes

I actually pulled 2 out and put them on my ST hub :pensive:

1 Like

I had an Almond+ made by the same company. It was supposed to be an 802.11ac access point, plus a home automation hub. It did neither of these things well.

1 Like

I had no problem pulling them off. I only really use them for repeating, so they weren't critical to something working or not working. I just checked and I have a lot of 5 Iris plugs in my mailbox waiting for me to pick up. I can live without 2 peanuts.

3 Likes

Should our Hubitat's come with an EpiPen due to this Peanut Allergy? I have declared my Hubitat home a peanut free zone.

6 Likes

That rates right up there with the "great peanut panic of 2020" You always give me a chuckle @Brandon
:rofl: :peanuts:

4 Likes

Mine arrived today as well. :grinning:

1 Like