Hub process slowdown after several days

Heres my chart of hub device page loading speed. I dont experience slowdowns. Its a C-4 hub. Its pretty flat over time, the small steps correspond to updates. Im guessing folks with this slow-down problem would see more of a sawtooth shape, ramping up and then back to the typical <1s after being restarted. Would be interesting to see.

Another troubleshooting step that might be interesting is to run constant ping to the hub and watch the ping time over time as the hub slows down. This would show if there is any LAN issue, and if the hub cpu is getting slow at even servicing the network stack to reply to pings. Or it may show constant sub-ms ping times even through the "slowdowns", and that may be instructive data too.

1 Like

Same here.

I've rebooted twice in the last 2 weeks, and I'll need to do that again tonight.

The hub response gets distinctly slower every few days -- for example, accessing the hub from a local machine and clicking on any item in the interface (ie., listing dashboards, listing apps, opening a particular dashboard) takes 30~90 seconds, and hub control of lights/response to motion or other events is basically non-existent.

I can't be certain of what's on my hub, as it's inaccessible right now, but it's a C5 hub, with only 3 (4?) RM4 rules, 2 HSM rules. Lutron integration with 4 buttons programmed on 2 Picos -- less than 50 devices in total. I think there's only one 3rd-party app (voice messaging to Logitech Music Server daemon).

I'm watching this thread with interest. I experience a slow down every couple of days, and only a reboot will help. But a reboot does make everything snappy again.

I don't have a system that's all that big: 11 Hue lights via a Hue Bridge, 1 lock, 2 contact sensors, 6 motion detectors, a couple of buttons, 1 GE z-wave plus switch, a handful of pocket socket repeaters, some Aeotec extenders, a bunch of virtual devices for various automations, my "friend" Alexa, Logitech Harmony. That's about it.

1 Simple Lighting rule, 1 Motion Lighting rule, a dozen or so RM4 rules.

User apps: Average This, Reliable Locks, Super Tile. At one time or another I've tried disabling each of these. It didn't help.

User drivers in use: SuperTilesDisplayDevice, Reliable Lock Virtual Device, Logitech Harmony Hub Parent, HTTP Momentary Switch, the new DarkSky.Net Weather Driver, and the Logitech Harmony Hub Parent and Child Switch.

I was using Botched1's GE Embrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch driver, but at one point I changed my GE switch back to the generic z-wave switch, just in case that was what was causing the slow downs. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

As someone else noted above, it mostly seems to be my RM4 lighting automations that slow down, to the point that I'm well into a room -- sometimes for a while -- before the lights come on.

I've tried deleting various user drivers. I've tried disabling some virtual devices. I've tried splitting up my RM4 rules to make them simpler. I've gotten rid of all global variables. I've added in private booleans and exits by mode to keep rules from running when they don't need to. None of this has made any difference.

Don't know where to go from here other than to keep rebooting. I've set up an RM4 rule to automate a reboot in the middle of the night.

1 Like

What’s your rule look like that reboots the hub?

I'm very similiar to you. Slowdowns every 2-3 days. I have a two hub system, and my main hub (C5) is the hub that slows down. I've removed most of the iffy devices to my second hub (C4) which has no issues.

Devices              Main (C5)    Client (C4)
 Sonos               Yes          Yes
 Hue                 Yes          No
 Network alarm       No           Yes
 Network TV          No           Yes
 TPLink integrations No           Yes
 Apixu Weather       No           Yes
 Yealink             No           Yes
 Iphone presence     No           Yes
 Dashboards          Yes          No
 SuperTile           Yes          No
 Average All         Yes          No
 Zwave devices       Yes          No
 Zigbee devices      Yes          Yes

I know it's better to have the zwave devices on the client hub, but I have not yet had time to move them. I run two zigbee neworks to keep my Xiaomi's away from problematic routers. The zigbee networks are on different channels, and also different to the Hue hub.

All devices on C4 client are mirrored to the main C5 hub with Hubconnect using websocket. Yet, it's the C5 hub that has slowdowns!!! Frustration plus. Even loading the device pages is slow after a 2-3 days. The speed difference is obvious between the C5 (slow) and C4 (fast) when loading apps, devices, and settings. I notice that my lighting rules are sluggish after 2-3 days. It can be to 5 seconds into the room before the lights turn on. A reboot fixes the issue. I'd really like a fix. Local processing is no good if it's this slow after 2-3 days.

I have no evidence of this, and just thinking out loud, but could it be the Hue integration? It seems to be a constant above with reports of slowdowns?

Edit: my two HE hubs sit next to each other, literally on a cooling fan (Australia). They are connected via Ubiquiti Unifi switches. My mesh are great. I have XBee mapping.

1 Like

You should look at this thread as it seems to have fixed my problems. BTW I also have Hue integration Hubitat web is VERY slow. It defeats the benefit of local processing

Yeah, I've posted in that thread, but had no responses. I use Ubiquiti Unifi products, not Asus.

Same here, I don't think this particular issue has anything to do with networking equipment - I contacted Bobby and he said my Netgear switch should not be affected. Besides network issues don't explain why logic processing on the hub is slow.

I also experience the slowdown over several days and a reboot seems to speed the rules back up. I have 2 HE's with 1 hub with all the Zwave and Zigbee devices and the second hub with all the cloud connections like Rachio, Hue, Sonos. I made this move hoping that cloud connections were the problem but I didn't notice an improvement. I have avoided a bunch of the third part apps and drivers to try and avoid any poorly written drivers that might drag the hub down.

I'm not using Netgear nor Asus, and my dashboards are actually usually pretty zippy.

It's my lighting rules that drag. I'm wondering about Hue as well, since that seems to be a common thread. I'd hate to delete my Hue, though. I can't do the kind of automations I want in the native Hue app. Complex automations were one of the features that sent me to HE.

I have Hue as well and No issues going on 48 hours, which might be a record as I was rebooting daily for a while. I had NST Manager and uninstalling that made a big difference. I also disabled several TP-link lights and plugs. I have read that unresponsive lan devices can crash the hub, like wifi lights and other integrations.

I have found the built in Ecobee app or for that matter any Ecobee app installed on HE slows down the hub. Not sure if anyone experiencing issues is using the app.

I dont use Ecobee, so not that for me.

Here's the rule

2 Likes

I'm having slowdowns so bad it's taking up to 2 minutes to trigger a light switch via the portal or sharptools. It's unusable right now. This just started about two weeks ago for me. Been running it fine for about a year with no changes in the past 4 months

No NST, TP-link, or Ecobee here.

I also went through all if my device pages and discovered that they were still showing up as being in rules that they had been removed from. As in opening the rule showed they were not there. I ended up deleting and rewriting a lot of rules, which may have been an issue. I also removed most of my scenes and just created rules for them. I also had several null devices in the zigbee routing page.

Just a thought.... do you guys have older rules than 4.0 still in operation ??
Changed all mine over last the weekend (thx @denise.grider) :slight_smile:

It might be another thing to explore !

1 Like

All of my rules are RM4. I changed them over pretty soon after RM4 was released because I like it better than RM3.

I don't use a lot of scenes, and what I do have are usually triggered by RM4 rules twice/day. Rarely I have another couple of rules that might be triggered a couple of times per day.

I don't have any null devices.

I think I saw in another thread that someone -- Bruce, maybe -- said that the leftover rules showing up on the pages of devices that were no longer in the rule don't really hurt anything. I haven't tried to do anything about those.