Hub probably died, missing from account

The HE hub at my holiday home went dark about 7 days ago, but I only realized it today. (According to Fing it was last seen on the network on the 16th). I did not think much of it, since the hub did once of twice slowed down and had to be restarted before I left the house and at the time, I decided it is probably due to similar users people are having after recent firmware updates. I'm able to power cycle the hub remotely, but after doing that, the hub appears to be gone from the network. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to actually see what the issue is in 2 month's time. (As luck would have it, I don't have a backup subscription on that hub,, but I fortunately have a backup which was taken a day or two before I left. Only frustration should therefore be to add the Z-wave devices if the hub has died.)
Strangely, when I log into my Hubitat account, the hub doesn't show up as registered on my account.
I don't know if it is possible that the hub has crashed and reset to factory default (changing its IP), but I doubt that as it would show up in the Fing Box if that was the case.
I suppose it could be that the power supply died - is that a common thing?
Does anyone perhaps have a clever plan how I can figure out what's wrong with me being 500miles away from the hub? (There is a PC that I can fire up remotely and access via Teamviewer.)
Any input would be much appreciated.

In that situation, with a PC accessible with TeamViewer, I‘d try connecting to http://hubitat.local/ and if that doesn’t work, would try http://hubitat.local:8081. If those work, it should be possible to find the related IP and/or reboot the hub.

The logs might show an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion - no luck however with either method.

1 Like

Darn. And you don’t have someone close by that could pull the power and reconnect?

Sometimes the power cable or the brick can go bad, so when the hub is physically accessible, those can be changed. There is also the possibility that the Hub or network cable are having issues - usually revealed by a green light on the hub while it is not accessible.

If it was a life of death issue, there is someone about 50 miles away. :smiling_face_with_tear: What makes it worse is that I will only be going for a few days in April, so I'll have no choice but to buy a new hub in case that one has indeed died, because I won't have time to order and set up a new hub during the time I'll be going. I'm going to cry for a few minutes alone in my room now.

1 Like

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

3 Likes

How does one attract support's attention? Am I in the wrong section?

I was hoping they could look at the logs and provide some insight as to what could have happened. I would also like to know why the hub disappeared from my account.

@support_team

If the hub is not connected to the internet it won't show in my.hubitat.com. They won't be able to look at the logs till it's online.

1 Like

Don't cry! Just join those of us in the multi-hub support group! There are lots of uses for a spare hub!

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. Hopefully it is the power supply. Time will tell. But to be safe, I'll order a replacement hub in the meantime.

2 Likes

Just like @rlithgow1 did, by tagging @support_team. But, if the hub isn't connected to the cloud, there isn't much we can do, other than giving you ideas to perform basic troubleshooting, just like others have tried thus far. :crossed_fingers: that it is the power supply.

1 Like

This has probably already occurred to you but I might avoid doing firmware and other updates without physical access to the hub.

1 Like

Brigitte Bardot GIF

1 Like

Thank you!! Will update the result toward the end of March/begin April when I get to the house.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. I don't even update firmware on any of the Unifiy equipment (at the same location) if I'm not there.

1 Like

An update as promised since I'm at my holiday home now.
In the end, it was neither the hub nor the power supply that was the issue. The issue was the adaptor that converts the 3-point wall plug to the 2-pin EU plug of the HE power supply.
So, what to do with the brand new replacement C7 I purchased just in case and only weeks before the C8 was announced? :sob:
I suppose being away from the holiday home for months at a time, it may be wise to restore a backup of the not-dead C7 to the new C7 and keep it as a backup, to be remotely powered on should something happen to the primary not-dead C7. I have a 5V POE splitter that I can connect to an Unifi switch to remotely turn the power on to the hub.