Hub not responding to anything

Alright woke up this morning and found nothing working.

Logging into the web interface never finishes. The diagnostic page works, but requires me to logout and back in every single interaction. Rebooting and shutting down via the diagnostic page works, but does not improve the performance of the hubitat. If I start in SAFE mode I can log in, but nothing else. Can't check updates, restore a backup, etc. When I clcik those options it shows a progress page, but never actually does the action.

I have tried rebooting, shutting down, safe mode, rolling back the version, nothing is working.

Any ideas? I could soft reset, but with the current inability to restore I'm very scared of that option

Well nevermind, found a possible solution. I started up in safe mode then rebooted from the web interface. No idea why that worked, but I think it is back now.

There are a bunch of threads on here as well with similar issues. I would recommend reading them to get some ideas as to what to look for the next time it happens. More than likely it will as the reboot may not have solved the issue, just masked it for now.

Yep, I've been involved in a few of them. Usually a reboot via the diagnostic page is all it takes when it acts up.

I also have an automation to reboot twice a week since something causes the issue about every 6 days (cyclically). I originally blamed it on updates, but that was just coincidence. Rebooting more often than 6 days has fixed it for the last month or so, but then this.

It wasn't the fact that it stopped responding that was concerning, it was the fact that it wouldn't recover with a normal reboot that was weird.

Checking my logs though the new thing I am seeing is a TON of these in the logs:

Received data from 192.168.87.39, no matching device found for 192.168.87.39, XXX55555:X555, 5X55XX555X55 or X5X55555.

I obscured those last IDs since I don't really know what they are, in case they are identifying in any way.

The device in question is a Sonoff switch that has been working and still works. Removing the device and readding did not help either.

Don’t know enough about those switches. But if that’s the only one doing it and it’s flooding the system I would try remove it and see how the system holds up over the next week.

It has been shown that a bad device can take down the hub.

Doesn’t hurt to try.

Those 'IDs' are just the HEX form of the IP address (and sometime port number) of the device sending the data to the hub.

The hub is simply saying that it does not believe there is a corresponding device to handle those messages. It is the Device Network ID that allows the hub to perform the match. By any chance, did you modify the DNI of the Sonoff device in question?

The hub could still send commands to this LAN device, as long as the Hubitat device knows the IP Address and Port number of the Sonoff. The problem appears that the Sonoff cannot update that device due to the DNI being incorrect.

I did not edit the DNI myself. Now that I readded the device I wonder what that has done, but prior to that I did not edit the DNI.

Safe mode is for when you've created a looping RM rule by mistake or something like that. It disables ALL apps and drivers, not just custom. Also disconnects all cloud links, lan listeners, upnp listeners and Z-Wave / Zigbee.

It's meant for a temporary startup, not a permanent fix. You should probably restore your database from a backup. Sounds like you may have some corruption.

Added the new Tasmota Device Manager app and used that to readd that switch and it seems to be working fine now.

I was able to roll back my database a day. I haven't made any changes recently, so hopefully that all does it.

1 Like