Hub not found

I had my hub set up and named. I would go to the HE list on the portal and find my hub. I would click on it and it would take me into a login for my hub. I don't know what happened but my hub no longer shows on the portal page and don't know what to do to get into it.

I assume the majority of us access our hub directly by IP address from our home network. I haven't used the portal page before, or at least not since initial setup. To access it by IP it is best to give it a static address so it doesn't change.

However, I can confirm while working on my home network, the portal shows my hub. When I take my phone off the wifi, it does not show. Is it possible you aren't on your home network?

1 Like

Hubitat Hub needs a fixed address. You will want to modify your router to reserve an address. You've registered it, so it is using an address, best if you reserve that address forever. You'll use the MAC address that is on the bottom of the hub. (aka: DHCP static reservation)

I also only use Portal.hubitat.com when I'm registering a hub, and never again. I just browse to the IP address I've reserved.

It sounds like it got a new address when DHCP renewed.

2 Likes

Another suggestion, although very unlikely:

It seems some routers (like google) don't allow devices to see each other unless they are connected to specific ethernet ports. I can't give much more info than that, as I haven't had the issue - but you can find more info in a forum search. But as I said, unless you have made changes to your network, this is very unlikely to be your problem as you've previously had it working.

I don't know where you got that information, but that is not correct. The hub will update its ip address just fine and the new ip address will show in portal. Address reservations are recommended, but not required.

2 Likes

I got it a year ago when I registered my first hub.

I agree that the C-5 I registered a week ago DID track an address change I made. But it wasn't quick, I'd say an hour or so. Long enough for me to compose a support request email. I did a quick final check and it indeed had updated.

@TomVP Can you try viewing portal again? Is it still not showing up for you?

Did the hub not show up at all in the portal or did it show up with the incorrect ip address?

It kept the incorrect one.

(I had a typo in my reservation and gave it a duplicate address.. of my Lutron ... )

It was a functional address, in other words.

That’s the DHCP lease time. Each DHCP lease is automatically reserved for an amount of time to cover things like computers rebooting etc. 1 hour is already quick, common practice in off the shelf home routers is 8 hours for a DHCP lease time.

not for me.

$ sudo grep lease.time /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
max-lease-time 3600;
default-lease-time 1800;

I also restarted DHCP server when I altered the config. (not reload, but restart.)

The lease time is part of the DHCP package and the client will retain that on the initial reception of the dhcp address. It basically makes the client wake up after the time is over and say “hey, let me ask the dhcp server again if my address is still ok”.

Max lease time of 3600 is one hour, pretty much what you had said above.

A third and final suggestion, this one semi-unlikely.. let's say it is in between my other two suggestions in terms of likelihood:

I find the Hubitat Hub to be very stable, but still I have had to unplug it and plug it back in a few times over the past year when it has become unresponsive. It is easy to tell if it needs a reboot as the light on the front will be red. To the best of my knowledge, once that light is red there isn't much you can do besides reboot it by unplugging it. Doesn't happen often at all, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.