Hub needs reset multiple times a day

I ordered zigbee devices to replace the door sensors and a zigbee motion sensor to replace the zooz, that will eliminate all battery z wave devices. I'll have those tomorrow.

The battery life on the zooz sucks anyway so I don't mind changing that.

I wouldn't mind anyone from Hubitat support taking a look. Everyone's suggestions here have motivated me to find the reason and replace devices.

2 Likes

Hub load is pretty low (at least as of time of writing). I see some zwave errors that stopped on night of 12/20, probably after a power cycle (just an educated guess). Since then, things appear pretty normal, there's an occasional exception from zooz power switch and I think window blinds, but nothing too out of ordinary. How did things act yesterday?

1 Like

@gopher.ny Thank you for taking a look. It's much appreciated and what you are reporting is in line with what I thought. As of yesterday I'm still experiencing issues. My last step will be today/tomorrow to replace the Zooz motion sensor with a zigbee device, replace a generic in-wall receptacle with a GE Zigbee version and disable MyQ.

As I previously mentioned the Hub itself never locks up. I can always access the hub without issues and it's not sluggish or symptomatic of any issues. The issues arise in the communication on the z-wave side of things. This is most noticeable with very basic rules i.e. if the bathroom light is turned on, also turn on the bathroom fan. Those simple rules don't execute on the z-wave side. When logging is enabled I see the execution of the rule on the Hub, but that's the extent of it.

As for the devices you mention. I have always had issues with the window shades. As I mentioned I created my own driver for those so I think those issues are resolved. I'll be publishing the driver on GitHub for other's who want a Springs Window Fashions driver once I polish it a bit. The Zooz power switches are new to the network and the problems I'm experiencing existed before they were added. I'm also experiencing issues with my GE ZW4007 240V Switches and might write a driver for those as well since there's not one as of current.

You don’t say which Zooz motion sensor you have. I have a ZSE18 on the built-in driver (well, had until this past weekend, when i removed it because no longer needed, as the GE/Jasco 26931 Smart Motion Switch has a motion sensor that, using the component driver by Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel), is decoupled from the switch). The ZSE18, USB powered, also acted as a repeater and attracted devices for repeating like flies, and was always rock solid, 100 kbps. Never an error, never slow. I only removed it because guests complained that they thought it was a camera in the bathroom, and the GE/Jasco switch has an unobtrusive built-in motion sensor.

Likewise, my MyQ LiftMaster garage door opener (model 8365-267, with 828LM Internet Gateway), running the MyQ-Lite community app/driver ported by Dominic Meglio (@dman2306) from Brian Beaird’s SmartThings app/driver, has been rock solid since installed.

This is on my C-7 running 2.2.4.158.

So, it’s possible that you have a device that’s failed, but there is nothing inherent about either of these devices on a C-7 with 2.2.4.158 that will bring down your hub. Just my experience.

That's a line-powered thing?

If I’m not mistaken, OP’s referring to a company that makes motorized shades with z-wave built-in.

They have batteries and 12V wired options for power.

Edit: see this thread for more info.

Yes springs window fashions are roller shades (blinds, window coverings etc) and I do have them using 12v hard wired. So they are not battery operated.

*** Completely Off Topic ***
I'll give anyone who happens to stumble across this a great idea for powering window shades. I had the house previously wired for contact sensors on an alarm system. So I went on Amazon, purchased a 12v Surveillance Camera power box (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07146KP3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with 18 12v power leads, removed the alarm box, replaced it with the above Camera box hooked up the alarm wires, then purchased usb to 5 pin adapters (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPXMTLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and now I have powered shades. I also used many of these to power z-wave 5v devices using 12v to 5v transformers and appropriate usb to 5 pin adapters.

@672southmain it is the ZSE40 using the 4-in-1 Zooz driver. My MyQ setup is almost identical using the same hub, just a different opener, but since that's not relevant to the operation of the driver, it shouldn't matter.

I know I've said this a bunch of times already in this thread, but I want to make it clear. The hub is not locking up, freezing or otherwise affected, even @gopher.ny has reported that the hub is not near being overloaded. The problem is that the network fails to operate as intended. The hub logs all incoming messages from all of the z-wave and zigbee devices, it just doesn't send out the commands to them. In other words all communication becomes one-way.

Ok. But, given the additional information you provided, I can’t see any way that the MyQ device/app/driver could be affecting things unless you have a door contact sensor that is jabbering. I’ve got as Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 on my garage door, but any sensor should be fine. Sounds like the Z-Wave command queue is getting wedged somehow. I’ve never had a ZSE40, so I can’t speak to that, but I don’t believe I’ve heard of it causing the problems you are having.

1 Like

Oh... I'm not assuming it's MyQ causing the issues. I've been asked by @mike.maxwell to disable it for trouble shooting purposes only. Per Hub needs reset multiple times a day

If you have this sensor on a C7 it will pair with S0, drain it's batteries, and screw up your mesh. It works only if paired via a secondary controller paired without security. Some people have said C7 works OK with a single S0 paired sensor, but I'm skeptical. I do know that with more than 1 paired S0 it totally will kill the mesh.

1 Like

Welp, fingers crossed🤞 that's what I'm replacing tonight. I'll report back tomorrow.

The interesting thing is that it was reporting no security in the z wave tools. But I've replaced it and removed it from the network.

Also, my network was locked up and as soon as I force removed the sensor the backlogged commands went through.

3 Likes

Could it be because it's a battery device? With me, I removed and replaced the battery on a contact sensor and it unjammed things, temporarily.

@velvetfoot I found that the monoprice sensors that I removed previously were S0 as well, so when the problem was really bad I had 4 S0 devices on the network and those are known to cause a lot of issues. I removed the Monoprice devices without checking if they were S0 prior to posting. I re-added one today to see if in deed they were S0 and they are. So I removed it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that @bill.d just happened to notice that I had a device known to cause issues. I was going to replace that device regardless, but credits go to him for now.

3 Likes

My network locked up again today. I'm going to try eliminating an Aeotec Siren as I might have reason to believe it is causing issues. It's not S0, but I'm running out of options. It's not like I can replace 40+ Inovelli light switches.

I replaced the Zooz sensor with a Hue motion sensor. I haven't seen people saying they cause issues so if anyone knows of either the Hue motion sensor or Aeotec siren causing issues let me know.

Thanks

There was a bootstrapping bug on the inovelli red dimmers with firmware versions prior to 1.48 and s2.

All of my switches were installed within the last 2 months ordered directly from them so I'm doubtful I have an old version but I'll check. Thank you

That's right around the time they released the fix so I would say it's at least in the realm of possibility.

1 Like

@lewis.heidrick you sir are correct. I do have red series dimmers, about 10 of the 40 Inovelli switches and they were 1.47 whereas 1.48 is the latest with the fix. I am in the process of updating them.

Thank you very much.

Np, if you run into any bumps just let me know. I'm writing some apps so I'll be around for a while. Be sure to update the target 1 file as well with the 1.47bin

v1.48 Z-Wave MCU (Target 0)

v1.47 Holtek MCU (Target 1)