Hub needs reset multiple times a day

I’m sure that I could at least slow down my zigbee network by enabling power reporting on all of my zigbee switches and plugs, and Zigbee has over twice the capacity of z-wave. I’ve seen solitary outlets hitting the hub 3-5 times per second with power reporting enabled. It wouldn’t take very many devices doing that to cause problems. There is no cloud with near infinite resources to do the processing, or invisible z-wave reboots to deal with badly behaved devices.
That said, I would follow @mike.maxwell ‘s advice.

I almost fell out of my chair :joy:

But I’m sure I felt the same way when I was starting with this.

2 Likes

There's also a bug with the generic drivers that is causing slowdowns. Has to do with battery reporting. It's supposed to get fixed in 225. There are a few alternate drivers that don't have the bug such as the ring alarm contact sensor that can be used until the update depending on what types of battery devices you have there might be a different one you could try. @bcopeland is working on the issue.

This bug I believe was only for Zwave battery devices, which the OP reported he had 0 of.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell I had this issue before I enabled SDM API or Community (Enabled yesterday actually). So Maker I'll just remove that was an experiment anyway. MyQ sucks to remove, but I'll remove that as well and if that still doesn't work report back.

@SmartHomePrimer FYI I finished disabling all power events. But something came to mind while I was doing it. As I mentioned previously, I don't have traditional switches therefore the switches aren't actually powering anything and the power draw stays the same at whatever the switch draws (very minimal). So the default 10W change wouldn't have ever been triggered to report the power difference. But I did change them all anyway. After disabling all of the power events I still experienced issues hours later and also today.

@tony.fleisher My apologies I have monoprice z-wave recessed sensors and they are battery using the generic z-wave contact sensor. I think those are my only z-wave battery devices. Most are switches. I also forgot to mention I have a couple GE Outlets that are also z-wave, powered of course. And lastly I have 1 Zooz battery z-wave motion sensor using the Zooz driver. Hub Platform: 2.2.4.158

@Ken_Fraleigh Yeah for me it's definitely a z-wave issue and not zigbee as the zigbee devices appear to report fine and Hue control from the Hue app remains stable. And yes I agree with you based on my understanding of the way the zigbee and z-wave networks work. You can slow them down, but for devices to just not respond is different. There will always be times when communication is lost, but those times should be logged as z-wave is 2-way communication and the lack of the ACK should generate some log of that failure. DevOps/DevSecOps is what I do all day every day. Securing and optimizing backend operations for Software platforms is my life. That being said this is a different type of network and definitely not my specialty. But that's why I beg for enlightenment, because I want to understand from the technical level and unfortunately there's not a lot of information out there about it. Lastly, total devices I have about 1/2 of what you have in Hubitat (40 of them required changes per SmartHomePrimer), but a lot come from Hue and I have about 7 integrations on the Google side (Big A$$ Fans, Bose, Dyson, Kwikset, Rachio, Remootio, and Smarthings for Refrigerator, Oven, Cooktop, Hood and Dishwasher)

@rocketwiz Yes I've been tempted to get another hub, and break out rules on one and devices on the other. I guess it's just a matter of doing it. Also I know, from looking on these forums for months that there's probably not going to be an "aha moment". I expected most of the answers I've received and if anything they just provide motivation to go down that arduous process. I've even taken the time to write my own Shade drivers (I've had the issues with my drivers and the generic).

@Brandon I stand corrected I have a few. But this morning I removed 4 of them from the network. After removing those 4 I still had issues.

So here's the steps I have taken and things I noticed:

1 - Removed all power reporting from Inovelli Switches (no positive change noted)
2 - Removed 4 Monoprice Z-Wave Battery Contact Sensors (no positive change noted)
3 - Removed Maker API (no positive change noted)
4 - When operating blinds in the Master Bedroom this morning from a Kindle 10 containing a dashboard the blinds didn't operate as expected. The system locked up.
5 - After #4 I moved the blinds to a driver I made and off of the Generic, we'll see what happens but so far the blinds are working a lot better.
6 - The only GE Wall Switch that I have completely locked up at the paddle. It's one of the few that controls the lights via power "load" to the lights. I replaced that switch with an Inovelli switch today. I didn't mess with it previously because it's a GE 3-Way, but was super easy to swap.

So here's what I've noticed now after all of the above aforementioned steps. The network recovers on it's own, but it takes about 5 minutes. So when things start to go haywire I experience a brief time where nothing works, then all of a sudden it starts working again.

You don’t need to actually remove the apps - You can just disable them.

1. Show the “Disable” column
  2. Check the apps you wan to disable

1 Like

Change the driver on these to the Ring Alarm Contact Sensor and see if things improve on the z-wave side.

You can read here about the issue:

It’s a long shot, but you don’t have all devices checked for your dashboards do you? I know that used to be the default setting and I believe it was recently changed.
Otherwise, perhaps @bobbyD could take a look at your hub?

I only have about 30 items on the dashboard and only those on it are exposed

1 Like

Perhaps a zwave device or two spamming the hub. @gopher.ny or @bobbyD may be able to look at what’s going on and give you a better idea of how to fix it.

I ordered zigbee devices to replace the door sensors and a zigbee motion sensor to replace the zooz, that will eliminate all battery z wave devices. I'll have those tomorrow.

The battery life on the zooz sucks anyway so I don't mind changing that.

I wouldn't mind anyone from Hubitat support taking a look. Everyone's suggestions here have motivated me to find the reason and replace devices.

2 Likes

Hub load is pretty low (at least as of time of writing). I see some zwave errors that stopped on night of 12/20, probably after a power cycle (just an educated guess). Since then, things appear pretty normal, there's an occasional exception from zooz power switch and I think window blinds, but nothing too out of ordinary. How did things act yesterday?

1 Like

@gopher.ny Thank you for taking a look. It's much appreciated and what you are reporting is in line with what I thought. As of yesterday I'm still experiencing issues. My last step will be today/tomorrow to replace the Zooz motion sensor with a zigbee device, replace a generic in-wall receptacle with a GE Zigbee version and disable MyQ.

As I previously mentioned the Hub itself never locks up. I can always access the hub without issues and it's not sluggish or symptomatic of any issues. The issues arise in the communication on the z-wave side of things. This is most noticeable with very basic rules i.e. if the bathroom light is turned on, also turn on the bathroom fan. Those simple rules don't execute on the z-wave side. When logging is enabled I see the execution of the rule on the Hub, but that's the extent of it.

As for the devices you mention. I have always had issues with the window shades. As I mentioned I created my own driver for those so I think those issues are resolved. I'll be publishing the driver on GitHub for other's who want a Springs Window Fashions driver once I polish it a bit. The Zooz power switches are new to the network and the problems I'm experiencing existed before they were added. I'm also experiencing issues with my GE ZW4007 240V Switches and might write a driver for those as well since there's not one as of current.

You don’t say which Zooz motion sensor you have. I have a ZSE18 on the built-in driver (well, had until this past weekend, when i removed it because no longer needed, as the GE/Jasco 26931 Smart Motion Switch has a motion sensor that, using the component driver by Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel), is decoupled from the switch). The ZSE18, USB powered, also acted as a repeater and attracted devices for repeating like flies, and was always rock solid, 100 kbps. Never an error, never slow. I only removed it because guests complained that they thought it was a camera in the bathroom, and the GE/Jasco switch has an unobtrusive built-in motion sensor.

Likewise, my MyQ LiftMaster garage door opener (model 8365-267, with 828LM Internet Gateway), running the MyQ-Lite community app/driver ported by Dominic Meglio (@dman2306) from Brian Beaird’s SmartThings app/driver, has been rock solid since installed.

This is on my C-7 running 2.2.4.158.

So, it’s possible that you have a device that’s failed, but there is nothing inherent about either of these devices on a C-7 with 2.2.4.158 that will bring down your hub. Just my experience.

That's a line-powered thing?

If I’m not mistaken, OP’s referring to a company that makes motorized shades with z-wave built-in.

They have batteries and 12V wired options for power.

Edit: see this thread for more info.

Yes springs window fashions are roller shades (blinds, window coverings etc) and I do have them using 12v hard wired. So they are not battery operated.

*** Completely Off Topic ***
I'll give anyone who happens to stumble across this a great idea for powering window shades. I had the house previously wired for contact sensors on an alarm system. So I went on Amazon, purchased a 12v Surveillance Camera power box (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07146KP3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with 18 12v power leads, removed the alarm box, replaced it with the above Camera box hooked up the alarm wires, then purchased usb to 5 pin adapters (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPXMTLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and now I have powered shades. I also used many of these to power z-wave 5v devices using 12v to 5v transformers and appropriate usb to 5 pin adapters.

@672southmain it is the ZSE40 using the 4-in-1 Zooz driver. My MyQ setup is almost identical using the same hub, just a different opener, but since that's not relevant to the operation of the driver, it shouldn't matter.

I know I've said this a bunch of times already in this thread, but I want to make it clear. The hub is not locking up, freezing or otherwise affected, even @gopher.ny has reported that the hub is not near being overloaded. The problem is that the network fails to operate as intended. The hub logs all incoming messages from all of the z-wave and zigbee devices, it just doesn't send out the commands to them. In other words all communication becomes one-way.

Ok. But, given the additional information you provided, I can’t see any way that the MyQ device/app/driver could be affecting things unless you have a door contact sensor that is jabbering. I’ve got as Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 on my garage door, but any sensor should be fine. Sounds like the Z-Wave command queue is getting wedged somehow. I’ve never had a ZSE40, so I can’t speak to that, but I don’t believe I’ve heard of it causing the problems you are having.

1 Like

Oh... I'm not assuming it's MyQ causing the issues. I've been asked by @mike.maxwell to disable it for trouble shooting purposes only. Per Hub needs reset multiple times a day

If you have this sensor on a C7 it will pair with S0, drain it's batteries, and screw up your mesh. It works only if paired via a secondary controller paired without security. Some people have said C7 works OK with a single S0 paired sensor, but I'm skeptical. I do know that with more than 1 paired S0 it totally will kill the mesh.

1 Like