Hub mesh

Ok I have a strange question: if I have a VPN tunnel between 2 different locations, and a hubitat hub at each location; can I link the 2 using hub mesh?

The reason I ask is if I were at location 1 and a motion sensor at location 2 trips; I would like it to make an announcement at location 1 on my dot through echo speaks. The rule would be set up at location 1 on that hub and show the devices being used for the triggers from location 2.

For all intensive purposes both hubitat hubs would seem to be on the same network, and would just be sharing devices through the VPN tunnel to be used as triggers.
If this in fact works as anticipated you could essentially have several locations linked through VPN tunnels with a hubitat hub in each location, and all of them linked using hub-mesh.

Rio

I don’t think so. I believe that Hub mesh uses multicast UDP - and I don’t know many VPNs that route multicast.

Your use case would be perfect for HubConnect.

It might be possible to make work, but you'd need to route multicast between the networks, which it's likely won't happen by default:

If you can't make that work, HubConnect has a cloud option that would work if you wanted to set that up instead.

1 Like