Hub mesh setup to remove Hue hub. splitting devices and apps

The connection between HE and the Hue hub still depends on the Hue hub being connected to the network, just not to the cloud service. It's all local.

Hi Brad.

Yes i know that, the network light is on and solid and so it has a LAN connection The Ethernet light is off and so no WAN connection.

The WAN/cloud connection is back on now and everything now works. Im certain that ive done something wrong in the HE setup, but have yet to figure it out!

Sorry for stating the obvious... :slight_smile:

Yeah something is very odd. You should most definitely be able to communicate between HE and the Hue hub without any internet connection.

I wonder if it's possible you have a defective Hue hub that occasionally drops its IP connection to the local network? When it stops working you might try pinging the Hue hub from a workstation on the same network.

I use the Hubitat Presence Ping device driver to ping my various hubs and provide me with cheap network monitoring. It's basic but it does work.

Well something is way off, im unable to switch lights on/off via the device list in HE. The HE MUST have a network connection as i can see the GUI and control none hue equipment.... Ive most definitely done something very stupid!

Hue Hub now totally failed..... power light only, doesnt even try to join the network.

If it has failed, there is no way to retrieve the config...

If you want you can try a full reset on it

Turn the Bridge up-side down. Using a pointed tool, press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds. The LED on the front will blink to show that the reset is in progress. Once the LED stops blinking, the reset is done and you can proceed to set up the device again.

Thanks,

Yes ive been here before! im loathe to set this hub up again, its just not been reliable for the last 6 months or so, the question is... buy another hue of put the bulbs onto a separate HE that i have ready to install in my workshop,

Either will work... (Don't forget to set different zigbee channels (higher the better).

One consideration - as @rlithgow1 points out either will work with bulbs and most other devices. There are some devices, like the Hue HDMI Sync Box, that really do need a Hue hub. But unless you have one of those unique devices you definitely have choices.

1 Like

Well ive carried out a factory reset and the hub now totally refuse's to join the LAN/WAN So it looks like im going down the HE route because i have the hardware to hand. Given all the help ive had from the community, throwing a few extra quid to the boys in HE for another hub is the least i can do i suppose!

And now the mammoth task of moving all my bulbs over to HE and re doing all of the automations.... DEEP JOY....

You may not have to redo all your automations as long as they are all on HE... there is a new function on the hub called "swap apps device" that should allow you to just add the new devices, swap the new ones for the old, and then delete the old. Still a pain but not as much.

Thanks for that info, will be helpful. All lamps now added just setting all the drivers now, then on to the automations

Ugh. Well, at least you have a path and you don't have to wait for another hub to come in. I use Hubitat Presence Ping to have one hub ping the other and if it loses connection it alerts me. This works if a hub goes belly up but it does not work if the hub's network stack is alive but the rest is not.

LOL, whole lot of reading to do before i understand that statement!

I forgot to include vague and convoluted references to the layers of the OSI model to make it really confusing.

Basically the way it works is it's a presence sensor that pings an IP address. If it fails to receive a return, it turns the presence sensor to "away." So it tells me if the target hub is on the network. The challenge is the hub can be alive enough to be on the network but still not working. So it's not perfect.

Ahhhh i see! even the current CCNA course matirial says that the OSI is out of date... KEEP UP! :wink:

I still write with a fountain pen, keep time with a 60-year-old mechanical watch, and IPL my hub instead of rebooting it.

1 Like

Cant say that i think much of the hub mesh wiki, it tells you how to share devices but not how to actually link the hubs....

Figured it out... but why is it not in the wiki???

Well, i dont know what happened....

Paired all my lights, got them all working, then linked the hubs via mesh. When you enable the hub mesh you have to reboot the hub...

So re booted the hub and BOOM! all my lights are gone... and of course, i had forgotten to back up the installation...

Ahh well lesson learned... Anyone know what happened or experienced anything similar?

Ive started again, when i share the device from my Bulb hub and try to add it to my App hub by clicking on the + icon

I just get an undefined web page.

Anyone know what im doing wrong?