Hub Mesh Duplicate Child Device After Changing Link

@gopher.ny I encountered an issue with Hub Mesh today that I wanted you to be aware of. I am retiring my C4 Hubs and replacing them with C7s. I have a few that don't have the radios turned on for specific use cases so I simply restored the C4 backup to the new C7. Knowing that Hub Mesh works by storing the Hub ID within the meshed devices I knew that the other hubs would now have offline devices and I would need to change the device link - thank you for adding the ability to update the link by the way.

But when I changed the link on a parent device, it duplicated the children devices. Here is an example:

Since the device link doesn't include child component devices, I have to update all the rules linked to the original child device over to the new duplicate.

There's no sane way to track child devices for a parent device, unfortunately. Unless we force parent devices to use some sort of unique tag for each child, there' no way to match. Hub mesh has no way to know that child device Z is a replacement for child device A.

Bummer OK hoping you might have some coding magic that could happen. I am sure I wont' be the only one to deal with this so bringing it up given Hub IDs are unique. Would be very awesome if there was a mass find/replace where I could swap out Hub ID with another in mass across all devices. But know that is easier to say than to code. This was the one nice thing with Hub Connect where it used IP Address instead.

To think of it, you can probably copy DNIs of a new child device to Notepad or whatever, replace the first letter of the hub id to "z" in the new child device and save, and then use new child device's DNI for the old child device. You can't have duplicate DNIs, but DNI doesn't have to point to an existing hub.

Edit: not sure if you can edit child device's DNI, let me check...
Another edit: ok, so you can't, bummer. I'll have to come up with some way to facilitate that.

3 Likes

How about leveraging the replace devices in apps settings page option to allow for replacing child devices in rules? i have a bunch of child devices that are now reporting offline, and the only way to fix is manually, one device and one rule at a time.