Hub Mesh incompatible change after update to 2.3.4.138 (if you didn't read the release notes)

Hub Mesh dead after update to 2.3.4.138, this has not happened to me before. It had 2.3.4.134 and 2.3.4.133 on the other and it was fine but 2.3.4.138 broke all my shared devices. I rarely access the Hubitat hub except to add devices or maybe update a rule. Trying it now ...

...NOPE. still lots of disabled devices. Time to rollback until this fix the dead Hub Mesh.

OK, after 10 minutes they ARE working again. I can go to bed now.

1 Like

The issue is probably the changes to the mesh configuration. On .138 this has been changed to TCP ONLY (UDP is removed) and the port has changed to 8083.

This is a BREAKING change and for mesh to work properly all hubs have to be on the same firmware (2.3.4.138)

1 Like

And there you have a typical issue. An update or a driver blows a massive hole in functionality and there's zero warning. But the worst part of this, and I don't have the requirement for HM, is that in short order it'll fix itself, having taken just long enough for the following procedure to happen...

1. Notice that the HM has committed Seppuku.

2. PANIC because everything you rely on is now about as reliable as a politicians promise

3. Womble around making unnecessary changes to your hubs doing just enough to really bugger things up comprehensively..

4. Find out that all you had to do was chuck a reboot and everything would have been fine...

This kind of change has to be flagged. Everywhere. On the update notes (which I can guarantee you, from too many years in IT, no one reads), on here, as an email burst transmission.. And whatever else you can think of..

And here's a thought. A phone that runs Hubitat app (which really needs an update) could easily be used for transmit messages from Hubitat Central through an updated notifications app...

The level of complexity and importance to peoples lives, and indeed safety, in what can be created with Hubitat and similar systems - if they go down and someone disabled relies on them... There really could be a "smart home killed my granny" banner headline in the Daily Fail...

1 Like

Well there was a fairly clear warning.

It was flagged. The change and its impact was in the post from @gopher.ny, and the release notes are in a link when you go to carry out the update.

Just to add Hubitat should NEVER be considered as a security or safety system.

23 Likes

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree here. Part of owning a system where you get to make the decisions on whether to upgrade vs. have some cloud vendor make the decision for you is the requirement to make sure you are making an informed decision, i.e. read the release notes and consciously make a decision on whether the upgrade is in your best interest, and understand the changes that is making to YOUR environment. Blindly clicking the upgrade button on any product is like electing your PM because you hear that they have cool looking nail polish.

22 Likes

Hubitat should not be relied on for safety. Even the dev's will tell you that. There are dedicated systems out there that are refined for the purpose. Hubitat is not one of them.

8 Likes

This will always be an issue if one cannot read.

12 Likes

Or chooses not to.

4 Likes

I am just wondering why they moved from UDP to TCP and the port change. UDP has been working great since they put out hub mesh. I am holding of on this update until things calm down a bit.

I think this forum is not so much about finger pointing or taking positions. Id rather help eachother out than going through jay / nay saying,

Its a fact that not everyone reads the releasenotes before updating and also understands the impact of some changes. There are levels of IT skills involved here that you cannot expect everyone to have or grasp,

For me its important to help out those who failed to read the release notes or understand the consequences.

Maybe that could be a good starting point for the devs as well…. Having the realization that these breaking changes effect also those that are less IT skilled.

1 Like

There were lots of complaints of Hub Mesh not working on UDP. I suspect that many of these originated from users whose hubs were on segmented networks that did not route multicast between the segments.

2 Likes

I don't disagree with most of your points (and you should know me well enough to know I'm all about helping everyone even if I make mistakes, lol) I guess my point is if one installs an update without reading the notes, they shouldn't complain. It's akin to grinding the gears in a manual transmission car without noting the manual says press the clutch to shift gears... You can't say "no one told me that" when it is common sense. I'm surly not gonna dig on someone for not reading the release notes, I know that a lot of people won't, but if they start complaining I'm simply gonna point out that they did say something and here it is. Why didn't you read them? Just saying. I mean I've been bitten myself for not reading the release notes (and not just on hubitat) I don't have anyone to blame but myself. (And yes, taking down a server for applying an update that I shouldn't have because of a specific change is rather embarrassing having to explain. Not to mention me having to fix it at no cost because I'm an idiot at times, lol)

7 Likes

True you have to understand under what conditions UDP works. I guess they just tossed in the towel. We will have to live with a bit more latency with TCP.

Indeed. But that latency is negligible in the context of z-radio transmission speed.

5 Likes

Regarding the comments about reading release notes for about 2 years I was pretty good at doing the updates and reading the release notes as soon as they were available. These updates are not once a month updates as you know. They can be multiple times a week.

But for me life gets busy with two kids. Many people want a system that works and they don't need to intervene as much to maintain their smart home. I updated for the first time in 3 months and I admit that I didn't read 3 months of release notes before installing the update. Luckily nothing catastrophic happened and everything still works.

5 Likes

Slacker. :grinning:

4 Likes

I agree with everybody who's posted on this topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

Having spent years working with a large consumer electronics company where we had both hardware and software products, I can guarantee that some people will never read anything no matter where and how you print it. Even 25-point font in red with exclamation points on a special flyer in the very top of the box: nope.

So could Hubitat do a little more to try and communicate as loudly as possible about these beaking changes? Yes of course, there's always a little more you can do. The question is what's the return going to be for all the additional effort, and you will still have individuals who don't see it and then come to blame you.

And I think one of the most important points made here is if anybody is relying on habitat for security and safety, they are making a big mistake. Hubitat is not designed for that use, and that has also been communicated repeatedly. If you want something for home security buy a purpose-built home security system. Do not use an off-the-shelf consumer automation hub like Hubitat, Tuya, SmartThings, Homey, etc.

8 Likes

Ya the notes did mention the change but should have stressed what that means in terms of breaking existing meshes etc more forcefully in my opinion. Probably something even in caps or bold.

Not in caps, but the incompatibility sure was emphasized in bold. It was the first thing I saw ....

6 Likes