Hub Low on Memory Alert, Have Questions

Thanks aaiyar - seeing the memory curve on your hub helps - at least to look at what normal behavior would be. Looks like I will have to take my second hub and start from scratch to figure out what the issue is.

1 Like

Would it help if you replaced MyQ with a fully local, always responsive, z-device to control your garage door(s)?

I did that several years ago, and would never go back to MyQ.

2 Likes

I just got the Chamberlain opener two years ago, so replacing it will get me to the same result :slight_smile:

The suggestion wasn’t to replace the opener. It was to no longer use the MyQ cloud. Converting any opener to work fully local will cost between $15-$50.

3 Likes

Don't need to replace it as @aaiyar says. Zen-16, Ecolink Tilt Sensor, and a Garadget security 2.0 to dry contact switch. You can run it in parallel with your old system but it's 100% local with no cloud involvement.

Can you PM me the hub id? I'll take a look at the engineering logs on the hub.

Got it - ordered one of the ZEN-16 and will give it a try....

I used to run the MyQLite software, but I got tired of Chamberlain changing their API all the time.
I now use the Zen16. I hope that the following pictures help you set it up:

P.S. I'm not sure that the MyQ app is giving you the trouble, but it seems likely...

3 Likes

Can confirm this rule works, triggered last night.

1 Like

I recently added a new Kasa device - an RGB strip light - for use in a garage parking warning light. I already had a dozen other Kasa devices. NOW I'm seeing low memory alerts every day or two. I don't know how to see exactly what is consuming memory - would have to have access to the linux "top" command.... Anyway, now I have to reboot every couple of days.

Unfortunately, that would probably only say that the Java VM is consuming resources. Much more challenging to see inside the JVM to see what is going on. :thinking:

2 Likes

Would not help. The hub platform runs in a JVM sandbox. So "top" wouldn't provide any additional information.

Ha! Ninjaed by @ogiewon!

2 Likes

True, true. I should have known better. 23 years ago I was a Sun Certified Java Programmer.

3 Likes

I want to add to the chorus of folks that have reported a big increase of "low memory" warnings. My hub needs to be rebooted about every 48 hours. After boot it's over 500mb free memory. Right now with 1d,21h,52m,27s of uptime I'm down to 140,484 bytes of free memory and heading south. I'm wondering if @gopher.ny found any clues in the logs of the hub earlier in this thread that would help me?

@wiegout what lan integrations do you have loaded on your hub by chance.

If I understand your meaning, Echo Speaks, HomeBridge, LifX, Kasa and Roku Connect. None of which are new. None added even close to my out of memory issues beginning.

Also, my auto reboot rule never fires. Should have triggered long before now.

I have mine written like this and works fine

1 Like

Hmmm. Confirmed that it is just not triggering on HubInfo reporting free memory. If I add a certain time it triggers. Is there a trick to having HubInfo generate events?

There seems to be a disconnect between the for 5 mins and then waiting till 2:30 am....

1 Like