Hub load is severe - Maker API? Bad Hub?

In that case, so you think I'm alright just ignoring the message?

Here are the device stats

What those stats don’t show is the amount of TCP traffic. If you are using a heavy load of TCP calls and have a lot of waits/delays in responses it will inflate your hub load numbers.

Looks minimal to me, but I have no reference for another Hubitat

The green bars is when I started messing around in the UI

Can't get one for just TCP, sadly

Just curious to know if you are using jason0x43's hacs-hubitat integration to link Hubitat to HA? I have 330 devices connected to HA and my MakerAPI stats are significantly lower.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.51.32 PM

1 Like

Yep, the exact same one...

Something must be wrong with my hub, or a device I suppose

I would suspect a device over the hub. With only 17 devices I would start diagnosing this using logbook in HA to see if you can determine which device is causing the issue. If that doesn't shed any light on the issue you could start excluding devices from MakerAPI one at a time to see if you can find the bad actor.

1 Like

I'd suggest a similar "shed devices to find the bad actor" but use a binary search method... disable half your devices going to Hubitat. Wait a unit of time to allow the Alert to clear. If nothing, Enable them all and disable the other half.

You repeat that "disable half" (of what's left) to narrow down to the bad actor.

You start with 17 devices and disable 8... and get a yes/no answer. If yes, enable 4... and get a yes/no answer. If yes, enable 2 (of the 4) and get a yes/no answer. That gets you down to 2 devices in 3 tests. In any test, a No means "flip the test".

2 Likes

I can say from experience it doesn't take much to kill a hub with maker API if a integrated device sends back to many commands from a external system. Sometimes you won't even see it if the hub has the local device already set that way.

What you have to remeber is that there is allot more tcp overhead then just sending the data. It may have to open a connection which involves handshakes and such as well. Then maker api has to process it to get the commands to the rest of the system. I think what csteel is suggesting is a great idea.

Have we isolated this issue to only being when Maker API is running with those devices integrated? If not you may want to start there by disabling it completely first.

3 Likes