Hub keeps locking up! Why?

Yes, reserved. It works fine using other apps on the same IP address. Not the router.

Why it never worked?

2 Likes

It would always lose connection the receiver. I'd have to manually re-initilize it every once in a while to get it working again. Something to do with the number of sockets the receiver will allow I've read.

This is a common complaint about the Denon driver from what I've read in forums.

Sometimes you need to pick your battles. Would you rather have one device holding hostage the other 31 devices you have, or have a hub with 31 devices working and one that's a pain?

1 Like

Pick my battles?
If I knew I was going to have to pay $$ for a battle, I may have looked elsewhere for a home automation hub!

So you say Hubitats Denon driver is a pain and yet supply it with the product anyways?

I think there should be a disclaimer for drivers/apps that you know have problems so the customer might be better informed?

All devices/drivers can have problems. Each device depends on the local factors, however if too many people have issues with a particular device, we usually don't include the device on the List of Compatible Devices. A case on point are Schlage locks. We offer a driver, but the device is not on the list of compatible devices. That is not the case with Denon AVR. The driver works for most users.

1 Like

I've un-installed the custom Denon AVR Master driver and re-installed the Habitat supplied driver and re-wrote all the Rule Machine apps to work as I originally wanted.

I'll see how things go from here in regards to Hub locking up and/or Denon Driver losing connection to receiver. I'll update here later of observed results.

2 Likes

If you're looking for a perfect Home Automation experience you will be likely be looking for a very long time. :slight_smile: Every platform has its strengths and weaknesses, and picking your battles, as @bobbyD suggested, is very good advice. The flexibility and user-extensibility of this platform allows it to support a ton of devices and automations, and results in a very powerful/flexible system. Combined with the active participation and support provided in this form by HE staff and HE owners/developers I think you would have difficulty finding a better place to land.

I do hope that the changes you've made work out for you. You might end up better off if you can find a way to schedule/automate the "re-initialize" you refer to above, if that is possible. If you can do that automatically on a schedule that might solve your issue.

9 Likes

danabw, your post sounds a little like a condescending Habitat advertisement to me, however, like I said, we will see how things shake out.

No condescension intended at all...I don't know your background and experience w/HA systems, just laid my opinion out about the reality of these systems and how I think HE stacks up overall.

You are right about one thing - I am "advertising" for Hubitat, in that I honestly believe that they are at the top-tier of available consumer HA systems generally, especially when you add in full local control and the incredible resources (HE Staff and HE users) of this forum.

Perfectly fine for you to disagree w/any of my opinions. :slight_smile: But I don't want you to mistake the attitude or intent of my post.

8 Likes

FWIW Denon/Marantz receivers only allow a single telnet connection unlike other receivers such as Onkyo - only speaking from personal experience. I would check the network connection to your receiver because I never have to reinitialize my HE Denon device except when I disconnect the ethernet wire to the receiver, unplug the network switch in my AV cabinet, or unplug the receiver. It continues to work for months with no issues.

Hopefully this is the cause of your issue. It would be nice if the HE Denon driver better handled the disconnect and auto-initialized if the telnet session is disconnected. Maybe @mike.maxwell can some day enhance it to deal with this situation.

5 Likes

He’s not that subtle😂

9 Likes

Thank you.

I think... :wink:

8 Likes

Hit that nail on the head. Also FWIW (likely nothing), he has no skin in the game, nothing to gain besides trying to help a fellow HA enthusiast. Most of us found our way to Hubitat via other smart home systems, and even though it can be painful at times, we know what alternatives are out there and they don’t come close to what we have here.

9 Likes

I checked the HA forums, looks like they're having issues also with the integration with Denon. Some of them mentioned a firmware update for the receiver, which might help. I'd make sure before I updated the firmware, that i could roll back if needed. And yes it sucks when devices don't work properly. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on devices I thought I could force to work, but in the end I accepted the loss. Not saying you should do the same, but this HA tech is still imperfect-regardless of platform(i've used a few).
I hate home automation, so much tinkering ...that I love.

Anyway if the firmware doesn't help , take a look at the network standby setting:

3 Likes

AND...... my hub is locked up AGAIN!!!!

Is your hub plugged into a smart outlet or on a battery backup? Based on your hub's engineering logs your hub lost power yesterday.

1 Like

Battery backup. It lost power cause I pulled the power plug to reboot it!

1 Like

When it "locks up", is the light still on? Have you tried scanning the network for it?

1 Like