Hub Is Offline [Due to Custom Code Failures]

Hi,

I can't reach or ping the Hub. The hub is at my second home so I don't have physical access. Can I bring it back to life remotely?

SOL unless you have a remote PC to connect to on site. And then, maybe.

1 Like

Some of us have placed Wemo or similar wifi outlets between the plug and power, to toggle it on and off for disaster recovery.

If your hub is locked up for some reason, you'll have to physically pull the power.

3 Likes

Please check your PM...

1 Like

I have a RPI that I connect to at the remote location. I can also VPN into the network.

If the hub is locked you can try to see if you can access it on port 8081; it is very often still accessible on this port; it was for me & many others.

If it is accessible, you can restore one of your previous hub firmware versions. In doing so it will also do a reboot. When up & running again, update to latest firmware again.

J

2 Likes

Can't reach it at that port or even telnet into that port.

Kind of disappointed. At least with ST when we had an outage it would recover by itself. But now I am 400 miles away ):

My gut instinct says if you can't access it on port 8081 then you have other bigger issues with it... The type of issues that not even a ST box would be able to recover from. But I know that feeling...

Have you gotten over the problem of having the Wemo come up off after a power failure? I couldn't get the Wemo to startup on. I would have to launch the wemo app and then turn the switch on to get the hub to come back after a power failure. I used a Sonoff instead. I then port forwarded a random port to the sonoff and enabled authentication, so i can still access if HE is down. But it starts up On.

Haven't experienced that problem.

Your Wemos start up on? Or do you just have some giant UPS which keeps it running for hours on battery and only use it for resets?

As far as I can tell, yes. Pretty sure the power has gone out since I installed it.

Huh...I wonder what I'm doing wrong then. Do you have the wemo mini or the insight?

mini

Makes me want to double check.

Which outlet do you recommend? I will get one

You want to get one that allows for start up state configuration within the firmware of the device so you're not relying on the internet or manual intervention to turn it on. Sonoff S22’s are configurable out of the box that way or if you load Tasmota custom firmware you can do that too.
From the ST forum FAQ on this topic: Leviton socket and Neo Coolcam sockets will attempt to restore previous state. The Zooz Zen15 heavy duty module and the Monoprice 27481 are configurable for "restore previous", "on", or "off" at powerup.

Based on the number of pages I found when I googled it to check myself, I'm pretty sure it powers up to off. Sorry. I was excited for a minute there. Thought maybe they'd finally fixed it and i just hadn't heard. The wemo mini was the very first smart product I ever bought, what seems like a million years ago now. LOL
There are workarounds people have used, like IFTTT and whatnot. But they all require an internet connection and a bunch of time for it to work.

I have one Wemo Mini outlet, fully updated with the latest firmware. I just did a quick test. Turned on the outlet, made sure the Wemo app showed it as on, then unplugged the outlet. When I plugged it back in, the outlet was off and stayed off, until I turned it back on.

The easiest solution to this issue is to plug the Wemo into your UPS, then the Hubitat hub into the Wemo. This should keep things stable during short power blips. It would be nice if they defaulted to their last state after a power event.

1 Like

Yeah, but my UPS doesn't last that long and sometimes I'm gone for a week at a time for work. I'd want the hub to come back up automatically from an extended outage. But you're right, if you only need it for resets, it would definitely work.

What I'm also curious about is whether it's possible to do a safe shutdown based on your UPSs status? I'm already monitoring for a power failure. Is there a way to issue a shutdown command to the hub through a web request?