Hub hosed?

Try hubip:8081

1 Like

It reboots before I can get there.

Could you maybe get the exact URL to the rule by being quick, and save that, bookmark or something. Then keep refreshing it until it loads and press the stop button quickly?

Tried that too. Keep 'em coming!

I assume it reboots so quickly because the low mem is still there from before and as soon as it boots the rule gets triggered again somehow? Do you have it on a timer or something?

If the rule was triggered on the actual mem change you should have plenty of time to get in there and stop it.

As a last resort maybe if you unplug it while booting a couple of times you will get "lucky" and corrupt the database, causing the hub to fail to boot the main OS, so you can get into the diag tool, soft reset and restore from a backup?

Hmm... wasnt there some endpoint you could use to stop or pause a rule?

2 Likes

Replace ID with the app ID of the rule, if you can get it.
Could replace hubitat.local with your hub IP as well, so it does not have to resolve.
http://hubitat.local:8080/installedapp/disable?id=ID&disable=true

Then keep hitting that as fast as you can.

5 Likes

Again, you would need to time it perfectly, but at least it should be more quickerly. I'll give it a try, if I can find the endpoint.

I have a required expression on the rule that I use for my main hubs, but didn't do it on this one. It fires when it senses memory is low.

Just saw your last message. Thanks!

Hm... I just tried testing that endpoint on my hub running the current beta and I get an Error 404 not found :frowning:

Oh dang it has to be sent as an HTTP POST. May have to get curl involved....

1 Like

Took me forever to find it. Not to pause but to delete it:

/installedapp/forcedelete/:id/yes

5 Likes

@bobbyd is the winner again! finally got Diag Mode and able to edit the rule. Thanks to @bobbyd and @jtp10181 . Great ideas and problem solved in 15 minutes.

5 Likes

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is the kind of situation where I have suggested to people in the past to be cautious about automated reboots. Not that this was your fault or foreseeable, but it's more just that things can happen, and even though you have been able to resolve this, it it is something that could be avoided, e.g. using an alert and manual reboot.

That said, I understand that people do have largely unattended setups, so do need an automated solution of sorts. Perhaps, if you do need the automatic reboots, a reboot count could be introduced and you only do 2-3 within a 2-3 hour period?

4 Likes

Or have it only check it once in the middle of the night and use the 15 minute avg mem. That way it would never get stuck in a loop, or reboot unexpectedly while in use.

4 Likes

Yeah, there are various ways to mitigate it, the point being to find what works, but making sure it will avoid unnecessary and repeated reboots.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I already learned my lesson.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you guys solved it, especially because now I can say how funny this was. :rofl::wink:

I'm someone who's shot myself in my own foot with automation errors a number of times, but this one was the "best." :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @danabw . This means a great deal to me. I am honored to have this prestigious award presented to me for the many amusing and disastrous things I have done. I assume this is a life time award.

3 Likes

LOL :rofl:

Oh yes, you can never "un-win" it. Plus, I think there's a tattoo involved...

2 Likes

Suggestions?

1 Like

I think @danabw should share his Badges? We don't need no stinking badges badge on Hubitat with you.

2 Likes

By taking this honour you are forgoing the award for best consistent free memory level. :joy::rofl:

2 Likes