Hub froze

Everyone's a comedian. :smile:

I submitted a ticket, we'll see what they say. I have a couple of user apps, but not many. I have a larger number of user drivers, though.

There were tons of errors with the dashboard app before the events stop altogether. My guess is that is a result, and not the cause, though.

1 Like

I've been fighting with this for awhile. Nice to have some company :slight_smile:

My hub locked up for the first time yesterday. Reboot fixed it.

I'm in the club too, got my main hub locked a couple of days ago, no error logs, a little slow before it died, reboot resolved.

Maybe 2 or 3 weeks before, the main hub got locked, but here I had to restore a backup on a spare hub because it got frozen in initialize at 50% and nothing will make it pass 50%, after restoring in another hub this spare hub booted fine, then happened the lock a few days ago.

My opinion is maybe the upgrades are causing some kind of damage in the db not noticed, the only way to fix it is starting the hub from scratch. My second hub with xiaomi is working fine but I started this hub from scratch the same day as I swapped the main hub.

Here is when I believe we need more tools to diagnose this ourselves, but per HE they are not needed.

This part is for @srwhite, I had another issue with ghost nodes in the z wave mesh, I always noticed when I used all my lights in HSM for alert they will lag to turn on all of them, or a group with all the lights, but using the same USB stick in zensys, if I click turn on all, everything will turn on instantly, no lag. Could you explain why this happens? It's clearly something in how the messages are going out to the devices or maybe the messages coming back to the hub, but with zensys there is no lag to turn on or off everything at the same time. Sorry to bring this here.

Zensys tools makes use of a Z-Wave command class called COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_ALL which works similar to a Zigbee multicast in that it instructs all devices that support that command to switch on or off depending on the payload included.

You will get some lag controlling multiple individual Z-Wave devices which is to be expected since each device is being controlled individually.

1 Like

I also had a hub freeze Hub hangs and heating goes crazy!BTW

Thinking about it, I was trying to figure out what had possible changed, and the only thing I could recall for me was that I deleted Life 360 from my phone, but did not remove it from my Hubitat. Now I don´t know if this is related (doubt it), but you never know.

One thing I have noticed regarding ‘cloud’ based apps/drivers

If the ‘cloud’ is unavailable or unreachable for any reason this produces loads of errors in the internal logs and can slow or stop the hub..
It sits there trying to contact the cloud, waiting for a response.

This could be the reason for your issue, by disconnecting L360 on one side, the hub would still try to connect/control it.

Andy

1 Like

Thanks, this clears my doubts in this area.

1 Like

Almost a great reason for getting a "coordinator" hub to keep that stuff away from your device hub(s)!!! :grin:

Exactly what I do.. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was along the lines what I was thinking. But instead of this happening, could we build in some kind of failsafe to either alert of such a condition ( i.e. show devices with excessive errors) or have the device fail if it presents errors for too long a time ?

On this thread.. @corerootedxb mentions a NodeRed server he uses for logging and such also to detect lockups.

oops didn't notice @Kulfsson had already posted the link BUT the discussion about NodeRed is very interesting.

1 Like

C-4

Mine locks up on a occasion still, too. So you definitely have company. Can't ever find anything in the logs to follow.

It is basically impossible to troubleshoot slowdowns or lockups outside of blind trial and error. We can't see system events/sec, we can't see radio throughput/commands per sec, we can't see CPU, we can't see memory in the java heap. Nada.

Basically all you can do is look through the debug logging and hope you see something. Not very effective. Or just turn user drivers/apps off one at a time and pray it happens/doesn't happen again. Not very effective.

So I guess I'll just submit a ticket every time it happens, and hope support can figure it out. With the (in my opinion) large number of hub freezes and slowdowns being reported in the forums in the last few months I doubt support has time to chase them all down, though.

2 Likes

My lockups started just after 2.06 upgrade and I didn't add any devices or apps starting with 2.04. Since 2.06 I had to power cycle the hub 6 times already. I'm lucky that DB wasn't corrupted. Nothing in the logs after lockups. One time I was able to soft reboot after my Zigbee radio abruptly switched to off and all automations stopped working. Something definitely happened with 2.06, but I have no idea, because there are no tools to monitor the hub.

1 Like

So do those that have hub lockups have google homes?

I just looked in my logs and it was full of messages for one of my Google home devices.

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:32.599 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:30.597 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:28.813 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:26.886 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:25.137 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:23.046 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:21.335 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:19.491 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:17.561 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:15.575 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:13.643 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:11.781 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:10.074 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:08.213 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:06.475 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:04.732 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:02.863 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

dev:1822019-03-16 04:19:01.142 pm errorsu.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (runQ)

1 Like

Yeah, the uniQ is a known issue. I turned off my Chromecast integration until support gets it resolved.

I don't think that lockups are related to Google home or Chromecast integration, because their release was way before 2.06 and lockup for me started right after 2.06