Hub Firmware v2.x and Nest Integration with Advanced Authorization.. Heads Up!

Wanted to give everyone who has their own nest developers account they setup up to use with ST integration a heads up!!

Initially could not get the new HE Nest integration app to work but discovered I had forgotten to log into my nest dev account and add an additional "OAuth Redirect URI"

https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/nest

This is found on the Overview section of the dev site after login. Just click on the edit pencil and add the above link. After that add the Nest Integration App as usual, putting in your client id and secret under advanced authorization then clicking on login to nest. Should go through and show your location on the next page..

*** Updated 12/5/2018

Here is the PDF of the original ST instructions by Tonesto7, make sure everything is set as stated EXCEPT the OAUTH redirect should be: https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/nest:

Also I've found you need to set your Nest "location" properly on your normal nest account which is under your profile/settings - make sure there is a name and address there.

5 Likes

Many thanks for this - I did not realize I could piggyback on my OAuth Credentials for my SmartThings NST Manager Install.

Weirdly, when I first tried to install the Hubitat App the login to Nest step gave me an incorrect authentication permissions pop-up page that gave me an unknown error when I tried to accept. I had to "manually" log into nest.com first and then I was able to accept the permissions request and get up and running.

thanks for the info but now I'm stuck at the select location section, nothing is showing up on available locations. Any ideas what I did wrong?

1 Like

Do you mean the Nest Location in the Nest Integration App? That is the location of your Nest you defined when you access your Nest account I think. Check Settings/Home Info on Nest App or the Nest website - at least that is what is showing up on mine,

Yes, I was able to get it to work once I closed and reopened my browser.
clicked nest integration app
clicked on allow on the first page of the nest integration and not click next on the advance

Yea same problem here, not sure how to get my thermostat to the developer account.

Hey, did you get this sorted out? I'm in the same boat; I get stuck a the Choose Location (with no options available).

I've had my dev account for a while, but getting it to work with HE has been hard. I'm just glad I finally read how the native HE one is waiting to get approved, and that's what was causing the error earlier!

Couple of things to check:

• On your actual (non-dev) Nest account online do you have a location set properly with Address and name? That was the "location" that showed up for me.

• In HE Nest integration app did you enter your dev API key under Advanced before continuing?

• Under your Nest Dev account do you have the OAUTH redirect set properly (see above).

• Did you do all the steps (except change *OAUTH redirect!) from the ST document listed here:

Use this link for the OAUTH redirect: https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/nest

1 Like

Anyone having problems integrating Nest devices, please reach out to us at support@hubitat.com. We can help you get started.

1 Like

If I remember correctly once you enter the API key under Advanced, I went back to the main nest integration screen and just continued through the normal way. That seem to work for me

2 Likes

That was it! Thanks. Those Advanced settings are supplemental, which I didn't get at first.
Got it added now.