Hub down, sorta

This is unlikely, but can you rule out the possibility that the the Hub's IP was reassigned to a different device by going to portal.hubitat.com ....

Also, what is the LED color?

Edit: Tagging @bobbyD to bring this to his attention.

Hub light is blue. I have that IP as a DHCP reservation in my Untangled firewall. Also Advance IP scanner finds it where it should be.

Add this to the weirdness. That portal finds my hub at the correct IP but when I click it spinny wheels forever.

I :heart: @bobbyD (we still talk about him sending me PSU's out of his own pocket to try and fix DOA hub, unmatched customer service)

2 Likes

I believe that IP scanner will show the MAC address for each IP address, I'd verify it matches the MAC on the label on the bottom of your hub.

Sorry wrong port try http://ip:8081

2 Likes

Correct it does give that info as well and all match in both AIPS and Untangled. Untangled recently renewed the DCHP reservation and update the expiration at 3:47pm est.

Now your onto something! :slight_smile:

Soft reset or Full reset? "Full" sounds scary lol.

Update 1 - Use "Reboot" - duh. Sorry rebooting.

Update 2 - Game on!! Thank you @Terk I will keep that site/port in my HE bag of tricks.

4 Likes

Reboot is 1st choice.
Occasionally a soft reset is worthwhile.
Full Reset is done only under duress :smiley: You should reject the first 28 opportunities to click that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Got that impression visions of re-doing my entire setup AGAIN flashed before my eyes. No, no, not again!!! 90% finished with a ST - HE migration and don't have the mustard to start over.

Port 8081 and now a Fav in the HE folder!

1 Like

Be sure to download a backup of the hub regularly. This is useful both in a disaster (at least all of your automations are recovered, even if you may have to re-pair devices.) as well as during self-inflicted screw-ups of the hub. Those moments when you realized you just deleted or screwed up a complex rule by mistake... It is so nice to be able to restore a copy of the database!

2 Likes

Glad you got it working!

This.

And there are plenty of scripts floating around the community forums to routinely download a backup to a PC/Mac/SBC. This thread has a few examples:

4 Likes

I do Soft Resets very often BUT only on my Development pair of Hubs. :slight_smile:

I have backups of various 'otherwise unadulterated' configs I use now and again. (With HubConnect installed, HubConnect not installed, RM installed, not... and so on)

The point of me mentioning that is to say.. the process of a Soft Reset is both quick and easy. For DB corruptions, it's quite amazing. Knock on wood, I don't run into that, but do not fear the process, it's worth doing once or twice to be familiar with it when you need it.

1 Like

As good advise as brushing twice a day. I should listen to that advice more too. :wink:

Now back to the Twilio notification setup I was going to work on before the hub decide I should reboot. It is not working properly but I am going to start a new thread for that problem. Thanks to all

1 Like

Great another thing to add to the migration list! Came for help not homework! Joking, I'm joking. Sound like a worth while addition.

1 Like

The hub is down again. This time when I try to reboot I get this error.

Any insights? I tried both reboot and shutdown and get the same error. Hub light is blue.

Pull the power?

No, please log out of Diagnostic Tool and close all your browser's windows, then log back in

1 Like

Blue light on C-4 hub is good, on a C-5 means troubles.

It is a C-4 and you are right using new browser private windows allowed me in and rebooted.

I wonder why it keeps locking up. Is there something I should run or log to find out way it is happening? Coming home to a dark driveway/house and fumbling for my keys reminds me why I automated!

Live logging (Logs) or past Logs is the best place to start troubleshooting. Usually errors and warnings gove you a good idea of what might be wrong.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Collect_Information_for_Support

To state the obvious, it’s something running badly on your Hub.
If nothing obvious shows up in the logs then I’d start looking at Apps that have “Poor reputations” like Chromecast (beta), Webcore and other community Apps.
Try disabling them one by one and observe the results.
Examine all your rules with a fine tooth comb to ensure they’re not looping or such like.
Same can be done with Drivers. Disable. 1 by 1.
Sorry there doesn’t seem to be a quicker solution to find out what you’ve loaded or configured to cause the issue.