Hub crashed last night - have reported this to Support

So wanted to report that my hub crashed last night. Was locked up, web UI not responding - LED light was red. Rebooted and now the startup web page is stuck on the initialization page - at 70% initialization. Light is blue however..

Interestingly while my Z-Wave devices appear to be working the Zigbee ones are not. Also can not access the admin page.

Am holding off rebooting again until I hear from support later this morning.

The good news is I only have like 3 Zigbee devices on my network - 2 ST motion sensors (battery operated) and one Peanut plug (powered).

May try power cycling each one just in case.

The only other thing I did last night was switch some of my Aeotec Micro switch devices from the generic drivers to the Aoetec ones (which are system drivers not custom ones).

Originally I had WebCoRE running but removed it after a slowdown/resource crash. Now using RM and system apps only. The only networking things I have are Alexa Skill and a custom Weather device from the forums.

Maybe it would be a good idea to allow access to the admin page once that part is available regardless of Z-wave/Zigbee network setup. Maybe have the initialization percentage appear in a box/line on the title section or something and not allowing access to devices/apps sections until complete - that way we could reboot/shutdown the hub properly, check the logs etc instead of feeling like we have to manually power cycle the hub. The other thought was put a hub reboot/shutdown button on the initialization page itself..

So after removing the peanut plug and plugging it back in and removing/reinserting the battery of one of my Zigbee motion detectors the Zigbee network appears to be working. Just had a motion rule fire on my 3rd Zigbee device when I went to pull the battery - so both Zigbee and Z-Wave networks seem to be back online. I still cannot get to the web interface though - just sitting at 70% initialization.

Again I feel there should be a way to get to the UI regardless of the state of the Zigbee/Zwave networks or initialization. Just make sure the parts of the system that are not initialized like devices/apps are not accessible until initialization is complete. It would then be easy to do a "proper" system reboot from the hub rather than a powercycle.

Am leaving things in this state for now so support can check the logs etc.

Support has contacted me - earlier than expected and much appreciated!!

Did not realize you can access shutdowns and reboots directly via a link. That's handy but maybe not as user friendly doing it through the official UI..

At any rate my UI seems to be stuck, cannot reboot or anything via the direct shutdown link. Things are working otherwise..

So am now back online thanks to the assistance of support. They are still looking into things - possibly some weirdness with my Z-Wave network. Still not sure what is going on but they are checking it out.

Have to say that I think it's really important to report issues like this to support so they can record it. Also they have been very responsive.

4 Likes

The current capability for shutdown and reboot via URL is be deprecated. My post is updated to reflect the recommendations from Hubitat.

Just a heads up. These paths were scheduled to be removed as we announced in the 1.1.5 release. Our next update will remove them and move them to POST requests.

It is not recommended to use a path to shutdown or reboot the hub using these routes.

1 Like

Warning: These routes are going away in the next release, being replaced. We suggest you use the buttons on the Settings page.

Oops - Sorry did not mean to promote those links! I think it's better to work through the interface if you can get to it..

E.

1 Like

Just to follow up for a newbie, what's the best way to reboot the hub if the Web GUI is unresponsive? I hate to just pull a power supply unless it's absolutely necessary.

So with the latest update I think you are stuck doing that. Might want to contact support before you do just to let them know what's going on and they can maybe tell you what devices are acting weird etc.

For my situation I had already rebooted and then the initialization page got stuck on 70% - but my Z-wave devices / rules were working (and Zigbee came back after battery pulls). The link did not work anyway and I had to power cycle again. Support helped me through that and gave me some ideas/devices to look for on my own network.

A WiFi plug that is controlled via another app.
I know it's discouraged but if it can't handle a little abuse then it's not worthy. I think it is worthy as it's never not come back from a power cycle.

Just backup from the web UI every once and a while. Never tested if those are good though...

I'm tempted by the idea. Especially since I'm in the middle of ramping things up and playing around with HE so things aren't exactly stable right now. I would prefer not to hard reboot but I have not had much choice in the matter. I wish there were a safer way of doing it like an emergency alt admin site or something.

Yeah I've used it once now. NBD.