Hub backup name

Hi,

I noticed the hub backup name consists of date and platform version (PV). Does that mean backups marked with one version will not work (properly) on prior or later PV's? Or is it just there as a reference that it was taken with that particular PV, to warn for possible incompatibilities?

I like to keep off hub backups as well, answer to this will tell how many of these there is any point in saving, and how old a backup could be and still be useful/guaranteed to work.
Thanks

This. Restoring any older database to a newer platform version should be fine, but rarely there are breaking changes on newer platform versions compared to older ones, where the new-version database will break things if restored to an older version. This is usually in the release notes and I can't recall it happening recently. Any time I remember this happening has also been limited to specific built-in apps (one upgrade I recall affected Thermostat Scheduler in the manner just described; even then, if you removed and re-added the app, I suspect it would work and it was just your configuration that would have been messed up). So not all of these will necessarily even affect all users.

I suppose you with the above mean "Restoring an older backup on a newer platform version than it was originally taken on" and with "database" refer to the backup of the hub configuration/rules??

So when restoring, is the backup in any way verified to match current platform version, to warn for any such breaking changes? Or will one have to interestingly read all past release notes between current and the one being candidate for restoration?

Just curious but what’s the intended use case for restoring a backup that’s old enough to include a firmware from several versions ago?

With regular off-hub backups, hopefully you have one available that’s not very old?

1 Like

None, really. I was merely interested in what retention I should settle for. For all normal intents it would likely be enough with a handful, and preferably within the current platform version

I have a NodeRed flow that automates the execution of my off-hub backups.

I haven’t looked at it in a while and haven’t needed to use the backup files, but IIRC the flow is set to cull backups older than two weeks, or maybe a month.

That was an arbitrary cutoff but seemed like more than enough. As you’ve noted, there’s usually not much of an actual use for restoring extremely old backup files :wink:.

1 Like

Yeah, I've fixed that wording (guessing I was thinking "upload" and typed "upgrade").

No, that is up to you. (That should be easy: it's in the default filename as you asked.) But restoring to the current platform version should always be fine. It's the odd case of if you downgrade platform versions and try restoring a newer database version. I'm assuming this would be pretty rare, and since you really only have access to the last few versions and these changes are rare in the first place, even rarer to run into this issue. Yes, you'd need to look at the release notes (or ask) to figure it out, but again, the release is likely to be recent enough that you'd remember reading it. :slight_smile: This has only happened a few times that I can remember, and again has affected only specific upgraded apps as far as I recall, never totally breaking everything. (Also note that if a platform version introduces a totally new apps or drivers, these instances would also break in that they'd be unavailable if restored to an older platform version. That should be easily fixable by removing the app from its status page, the same "fix" you could use for the former too if you don't mind that approach.)

If you're not sure, matching versions is the best way to avoid this. But again, most of the time you'll be fine.

1 Like

Great, thanks! :slight_smile: