HSM trigger alarm on doorLock unlocked

I would like the alarm to sound when a lock is pickpocketed. My lock would send an unlocked event, but that's not available as an input to HSM.

The idea is that the pin code will disable the alarm, while opening by pickpocketing/key will make it sound.

Why not just put a contact sensor on the door instead.

I have several answers here:

a) the lock will send the signal slightly before the contact sensor
b) I already have the lock but would have to buy the contact sensors
c) wife doesn't like contact sensors around the home

in no particular order :smiley:

I'm confused... Your lock is able to differentiate a keyed entry from a coded one and would send a different event to HE when that happened? Also, if someone is taking the time to pick your locks, you don't think they'd have figured out you have a security system too? Seems like an awfully esoteric use-case to me.
Also, they have contact sensors that replace your door hinge and other that mount inside the frame...cant even see em.

Honestly, the last thing I would trust to tell me a door is open would be a lock...

1 Like

Oh I agree Mike. But have you seen a smart lock that even does this? You've seen a lot more than me but I've never heard of one. Usually the backup key is mechanical. Or they're keyless and use a backup battery with contacts for a 9v. If you mechanically opened the lock, it would still report locked, wouldn't it?

@Ryan780 yep, is esoteric. the lock is able to distinguish between manual entry (keyed) and pin code.

What model lock do you have?

Schlage BE469

Honestly you should use a sensor inside the door, I have the Schlage and yes, it's able to distinguish between manual and pin but it isn't the best in reliability, I have a rule to refresh the lock status every time the door contact change the state.

The 469 doesn't know the difference between the lock being unlocked by the thumb turn or the key, they both produce the same report.
All the locks I've worked on don't make this distinction.

1 Like

True, but the thumb turn is on the inside only. On the outside you only have pin or key.

The door has a metal frame + weather shield. And I already had issues with sensors in metal frames

That's true, however my point is that you can't determine that the door was unlocked from the inside, or the outside...

1 Like

True. But that’s the same for any contact sensor